The Alvar branch of the New Orleans Public Library, located in the Bywater neighborhood at 913 Alvar St., is hosting the final Alvar Arts program of the 2012-13 series at 7 p.m. Thursday. Alvar Arts is a free community program that brings together local artists and an interested audience.
This month’s featured artist is author Ken Foster, who will be discussing his latest book, “I’m A Good Dog: Pit Bulls, American’s Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Dog.” Foster will describe the process of working collaboratively with photographer Karen Morgan in creating the book, which features nearly 100 color photos and historic images in addition to Foster’s text.
In 2001, Foster’s love for his dog Brando led to his writing the anthology “Dog Culture,” published in 2002. He followed that up with “The Dogs Who Found Me” (2006), “Dogs I Have Met” (2007) and “I’m a Good Dog” (2012). In 2008, he founded The Sula Foundation, which promotes responsible dog ownership of the pit bull population, and sponsors education and outreach in the New Orleans area.
Foster published his first book in 1998 after earning an MFA in fiction from Columbia University. He has earned fellowships from Yaddo, the New York Foundation for the Arts and The Sewanee Writers Conference, and published essays, stories and interviews in Salon, Paper, The Village Voice, Bomb and other publications.
For more information about the Alvar Arts program, visit our website at neworleanspubliclibrary.org, and to stay informed about upcoming library events, like our Facebook page, facebook.com/neworleanspubliclibrary, and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/nolalibrary.
Charles Brown is executive director of the New Orleans Public Library.
NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARIES
3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641.
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: 11 a.m. daily.
- BOOKMARK CRAFT: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- ADULT POETRY NIGHT: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- TEEN DRAWING CLUB: 4:30 p.m. Monday.
- REDBALL EXPRESS, WWII MUSEUM “VICTORY GARDEN”: 2 p.m. Wednesday.
913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- CHESS MASTER BERNARD PARUN: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- ALVAR ARTS - KEN FOSTER: 7 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. Monday.
- DIY SILKSCREEN PRINTING: 2 p.m. Tuesday.
CENTRAL CITY BRANCH
2405 Jackson Ave., (504) 596-3110
- MONDAY MORNING MOVIES: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
913 Napoleon Ave., (504) 596-2628.
- DIGGING IN THE GARDEN: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- CRAFT: 11 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
5641 Read Blvd., (504) 596-0200
- MAKE YOUR OWN GEODE CRAFT: 1 p.m. Thursday.
- HOMEWORK CLINIC: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- IRWIN ROYES, WORLD’S SMALLEST MAGICIAN: 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 5 p.m. Tuesday.
225 Morgan St., (504) 366-0657.
- FAMILY MOVIES: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- TEEN MOVIES: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- DINOSAUR CRAFT: 11 a.m. Tuesday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
4300 S. Broad St., (504) 596-2660
- COOKING AS A FAMILY: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: 10 a.m. Saturday, by appointment.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS AND BABIES: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- COOKING FOR TEENS: 5:30 p.m. Monday.
- ENGLISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- ZUMBA!: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
1611 Caffin Ave., (504) 596-2695.
- DIY CRAFTS: all day Thursday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- KIDS’ CRAFT: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- SHARK TEETH: 10:30 a.m. Friday.
- BOOK TO MOVIE: 1 p.m. Friday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Wednesday.
5120 St. Charles Ave., (504) 596-2625.
- TEEN GIVEAWAY DAY: all day Thursday.
- FRIENDS OF NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday.
- BOARD GAMES: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Sunday, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and 6 p.m. Wednesday
- TOASTMASTERS: 5 p.m. Monday.
- FRIENDS OF THE NOPL BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Wednesday.
3700 Orleans Ave., (504) 596-2654.
- SALLY FARRELL, WIND IN MY FEATHERS: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
1401 S. Carrollton Ave., (504) 596-2630.
- LET’S DIG FOR DINOSAUR BONES: 3:30 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
3001 Gentilly Blvd., (504) 596-3100.
- DIY PUPPET MAKING AND PUT ON A PUPPET SHOW FOR KIDS: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- EVERY CHILD READY TO READ: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- OPEN TECHNOLOGY Q & A: 10 a.m. Monday.
- MOVIES FOR TEENS: 4 p.m. Monday.
- TABLETOP GAMES: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- CRAFTERNOON FOR TEENS: 3 p.m. Wednesday.
6301 Canal Blvd., (504) 596-2638.
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- TEEN HOMEWORK HELPER DATABASE TUTORING: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- TEEN CRAFT: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- TEEN POTLUCK BOOK CLUB: 3 p.m. Saturday.
- REDBALL EXPRESS, WWII MUSEUM “VICTORY GARDEN”: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
219 Loyola Ave., (504) 596-2560.
- GARDEN GROWERS: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- BOOK PARADE: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- CRAFTS WITH MISS ANDREA: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- 50 THINGS TO DO WITH A BOOK BESIDES READ IT: 4 p.m. Saturday.
- GLBTQ&A BOOK CLUB: 4 p.m. Monday.
- DINO CLUB: 2 p.m. Tuesday.
- DEATH IN THE ARCHIVES: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved