Red, White and Blue Treat Pops
Makes about 12. Recipe is provided by Family Features.
Whoopie pie cakes:
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
11/2 tsps. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbls. butter, softened
2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites
11/2 tsps. imitation clear vanilla extract
2⁄3 cup milk
3 cups buttercream icing
Christmas red icing color
Royal blue icing color
Patriotic mix sprinkles
Rocket Treat Pops Toppers or other decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a mini whoopie pie pan with vegetable pan spray.
2. In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg whites and vanilla extract and beat until well combined. Alternately add flour mixture and milk in three additions, beating until just combined. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each cavity.
4. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until tops of cakes spring back when touched. Cool in pan 3 minutes. Cool completely on cooling grid.
5. In separate small bowls, tint 1 cup buttercream red, 1 cup blue and reserve 1 cup white.
6. To assemble: Place one cake in bottom of treat pop. Pipe a swirl of blue icing from back edge following the curve of the container to the front, then filling in the center; add sprinkles. Add second cake. Pipe a swirl of white icing; add sprinkles. Top with another cake. Pipe a swirl of red icing. Top with Patriotic Sprinkles or Rocket Treat Pops Toppers.
Convenience tip: Substitute vanilla wafer cookies for Whoopie Pie Cakes.
Note: A miniwhoopie pie pan has 24 shallow cavities for baking the tops and bottoms of whoopie pies.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved