Makes about 24. Recipe is from Family Features.
1 (16-oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
Eggs, water and vegetable oil to prepare mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄ 8 tsp. salt
3 tbls. unsalted butter
1⁄ 3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbl. water
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Leaf green icing color
Assorted fruit flavored candies
Red sparkle gel
Yellow sparkle gel
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare whoopie pie pan with vegetable pan spray.
2. For buns, combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil in large bowl; mix according to package instructions. Fill prepared pan cavities 2⁄ 3 full with cake batter. Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until tops of cake spring back when touched. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to cooling grid and cool completely. Repeat with remaining cake batter.
3. For patties, combine flour and salt in small bowl. In small saucepan, melt butter and sugar with water; stir until sugar is dissolved. Add chocolate chips; stir until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
4. In large bowl, beat egg with electric mixer. Add chocolate mixture; mix well. Add flour mixture; stir until just combined. Divide batter evenly between whoopie pie pan cavities, filling about 1⁄ 3 full.
5. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean. Cool 10 minutes; loosen edges of brownies and remove from pan. Cool completely.
6. For toppings, mix shredded coconut with leaf green icing color for lettuce. Roll yellow fruit candies into thin layers for cheese. Use red and yellow sparkle gels for ketchup and mustard. To assemble, top cake bun with a brownie patty. Add toppings and finish with second cake bun.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved