Serves 6. Recipe is from Louisiana Culinary Institute.
6 Creole tomatoes
1⁄3 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbl. minced fresh parsley
3 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
2 tbls. wheat germ
1⁄3 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut off tomato tops and discard. Scoop out the centers, chop and reserve, leaving the fleshy shells intact.
3. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Add parsley and chopped tomatoes, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Add spinach; cook until wilted. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
4. Place tomato shells in an ovenproof casserole small enough to hold them upright and spoon spinach mixture into the shells.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs, wheat germ and cheese. Evenly top stuffed tomatoes with the bread mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until tender.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved