QUICKIE ITALIAN CREAM CAKE
Serves 28. Recipe is from “Trim & Terrific One-Dish Favorites: Over 200 Fast and Easy Low-Fat Recipes” by Holly Clegg (Clarkson Potter/Publishers).
1 (18.25-oz.) pkg. light white cake mix
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tbls. light brown sugar
1/4 cup flaked coconut
2 tbls. chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13-inch by 9-inch by 2-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, buttermilk,egg whites, egg and oil, beating until well mixed.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, coconut and pecans; set aside.
4. Spread half the batter in the bottom of the pan, sprinkle with the brown sugar mixture, and carefully top with the remaining batter, spreading it out. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool and spread with the Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8-oz.) pkg. fat-free cream cheese, softened
2 tbls. light stick margarine
1 (16-oz.) box confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and margarine together.
2. Blend in the sugar, mixing well. Add the vanilla, mixing well again.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 185 calories, 4.4 grams fat,21.5 percent calories from fat, 190 grams sodium and 9 milligrams cholesterol.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved