Through the support of the Friends of the Hubbell Library, the Cita Dennis Hubbell Branch in Algiers Point, 225 Morgan St., is hosting a monthly Author Night at Hubbell event on Tuesday, June 18, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
The featured guest for this month’s event is Erin Greenwald of the Historic New Orleans Collection, who edited and wrote the introduction of the book “A Company Man: The Remarkable French-Atlantic Voyage of a Clerk for the Company of the Indies.”
The recently discovered and never-before-published memoir of Marc-Antoine Caillot recounts a young man’s voyage from Paris to the port city of Lorient, across the Atlantic to Saint Domingue, and up the Mississippi River to New Orleans.
Only 21 when he set sail as a clerk for the French Company of the Indies in 1729, Caillot would spend his entire adult life in service to the company, rising high in its ranks. He died at 51 in a shipwreck off the coast of India.
This program should make for a very interesting evening. We are so excited that Dr. Greenwald will be joining us, and I hope that you will too.
For more information about this programs, visit our website at http://www.neworleanspubliclibrary.org, and to stay informed about upcoming library events like our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/neworleanspubliclibrary, and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/nolalibrary.
Charles Brown is executive director of the New Orleans Public Libraries.
New Orleans Public Libraries
3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641.
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: 11 a.m. daily.
- KIDS, CHECK OUT A BOOK AND WIN A PRIZE: all day Thursday.
- ALGIERS REGIONAL ANIME CLUB FOR ADULTS: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday; 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- TEEN CRAFT: 11 a.m. Saturday.
- MOVIE: 2 p.m. Tuesday.
- TEEN DRAWING CLUB: 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- Alvar Branch
913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. Monday.
- HOMEWORK HELP: 11 a.m. Saturday
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
- STITCH ’N’ BOOK KNITTING CIRCLE: 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- DIY PUPPET MAKING- PUT ON A PUPPET SHOW FOR KIDS: 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- Central City Branch
2405 Jackson Ave., (504) 596-3110
- CRIMESTOPPERS STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Thursday.
- GIRLZ ROCK- NAIL ART: 1 p.m. Friday.
- MONDAY MORNING MOVIES: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
- GIRLZ ROCK- JEWELRY MAKING: 1 p.m. Tuesday.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
913 Napoleon Ave., (504) 596-2628.
- CRAFT: 11 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
5641 Read Blvd., (504) 596-0200
- HOMEWORK CLINIC: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 1 p.m. Saturday; 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- DIY SILKSCREEN PRINTING: 3 p.m. Monday.
225 Morgan St., (504) 366-0657.
- FAMILY MOVIES: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- TEEN MOVIES: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- REDBALL EXPRESS WORLD WAR II MUSEUM VICTORY GARDEN: 11 a.m. Tuesday.
- AUTHOR NIGHT- A COMPANY MAN: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
4300 S. Broad St., (504) 596-2660
- COOKING FOR SENIORS: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- READING TO ROVER: 6 p.m. Thursday
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: 10 a.m. Saturday, by appointment.
- E-BOOK FAIR: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS AND BABIES: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- TEEN MOVIE NIGHT: 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- ENGLISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- ZUMBA!: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- CRAFTACULAR FOR ADULTS: 5 p.m. Wednesday.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
1611 Caffin Ave., (504) 596-2695.
- DIY CRAFTS: all day Thursday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- FIRE SAFETY PRESENTATION AND FIRE TRUCK VISIT: 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
- KIDS CRAFT: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- BOOK TO MOVIE: 1 p.m. Friday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
- REWRITE- A WRITING WORKSHOP: 11 a.m. Tuesday.
5120 St. Charles Ave., (504) 596-2625.
- LONG VUE GARDENS: 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
- FRIENDS OF NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday.
- FAMILY MOVIE: 2 p.m. Sunday.
- TOASTMASTERS: 5 p.m. Monday.
- LET’S TALK HAIKU: 6 p.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday; 6 p.m. Wednesday.
3700 Orleans Ave., (504) 596-2654.
- DIY PUPPETMAKING: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- TEEN CRAFT: 5 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME WITH THE LA. PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA AND STORY WITH CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
1401 S. Carrollton Ave., (504) 596-2630.
- LET’S DIG IN THE GARDEN: 3:30 p.m. Thursday.
- REDBALL EXPRESS WORLD WAR II VICTORY GARDEN: 11 a.m. Wednesday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
3001 Gentilly Blvd., (504) 596-3100.
- IRWIN ROYES- WORLD’S SMALLEST MAGICIAN: 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
- WRITING WORKSHOPS LED BY YOUTHS (AGES 12-17): 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- OPEN TECHNOLOGY Q & A: 10 a.m. Monday.
- COLLABORATIVE STORYTIME WITH THE LA. PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- MOVIES FOR TEENS: 2 p.m. Monday-Wednesday.
- TUESDAY AFTERNOON TABLETOP GAMES: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- CRAFTERNOON FOR TEENS: 3 p.m. Wednesday.
6301 Canal Blvd., (504) 596-2638.
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- TEEN HOMEWORK HELPER DATABASE TUTORING: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- TEEN CRAFT: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- TEEN VIDEO GAME NIGHT: 5 p.m. Saturday.
- IRWIN ROYES- WORLD’S SMALLEST MAGICIAN: 11 a.m. Tuesday.
- COLLABORATIVE STORYTIME WITH THE LA. PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- Main Library
219 Loyola Ave., (504) 596-2560.
- DINO CLUB AND DIRTY DIGGERS: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- BOOK PARADE: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- CRAFTS WITH MISS ANDREA: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- ANIME CLUB: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- GLBTQ&A BOOK CLUB: 4 p.m. Monday.
- DINO CLUB: 2 p.m. Tuesday.
- STROLLING BENEATH THE SKIN WITH ASHER STRUNK: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved