Serves 4 to 6. Recipe submitted by Bula Mounger is from “The Louisiana Crawfish Cookbook” by Bunny Jumonville and Joy Mounger.
2 medium eggplants
2 tbls. butter
1 cup chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 green onion bottoms, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped, optional
6 slices toasted bread, soaked in water and squeezed
1 lb. crawfish tails
4 green onion tops, chopped
3 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
Breadcrumbs for topping
Butter for topping, optional
1. Cut eggplant in half and discard seeds. Scrape pulp but leave about ¼-inch-thick shell to hold filling. In small saucepan, boil eggplant pulp in lightly salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Parboil shells by placing them in rapidly boiling, lightly salted water for 6-9 minutes. You want them to hold their shape.
3. Melt butter in large skillet; sauté onion, garlic, green onion bottoms and celery, if using, until tender.
4. Add chopped and drained eggplant pulp.
5. Add toast that has been soaked in water and squeezed. Mix in crawfish, green onion tops and parsley.
6. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne.
7. Spoon mixture into eggplant shells. Top with breadcrumbs (plain or Italian-style) and dot with small pats of butter if desired.
8. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved