- POINTE COUPEE CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Scott Memorial Civic Center, New Roads. Tickets $60, spouses $30, youths $25. Call Nolan Reynerson (225) 952-9200.
- 23RD ANNUAL BOGS, BIRDS, BUTTERFLIES, BAYGALLS, BROWN BAG: Fort Polk, Leesville. Plant identification, day & night hikes, tours, “Native Plant Propagation” seminars. Call Charles Allen (337) 328-2252/(337) 531-7535. Website: http://www.nativeventures.net.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway Public Landing. Fee $30/boat. Weekly Friday night event through Sept. 13. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- 17TH ANNUAL GRAND ISLE SPECKLED TROUT RODEO: Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Eight daily awards in speckled trout. Other categories: redfish, “rat” redfish, flounder, sheepshead, cobia, mangrove snapper, black drum and white trout. Louisiana Master Speckled Trout Angler of the Year event. Includes Youth/12-younger Division. Call Bridge Side Marina (985) 787-2419 or Bob Sevin (985) 787-2968.
- STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO—S.T.A.R.: Opening day, summer-long saltwater fishing event. Truck/boats for specially tagged redfish. Prizes in several species categories. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana. Through Sept. 2. Entry fee and CCA membership required. Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- THE CAMP ADVANCED FLY FISHING SCHOOL: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., The Camp Facility, Breaux Bridge. Fee $135, includes lunch, refreshments, handouts. FFF-certified instructors. Call Keith Richard (337) 344-0908. Website: http://www.thecampflyfishingschool.com.
- CMP M1 GARAND RIFLE CLINIC: 8:30 a.m., Southwest Gun Club, McComb, Miss. Safety, history, use, operation and maintenance of M1 Garand. 35-round course of fire on NRA 100-yard course. Must be 18 years old. Successful completion allows M1 Garand purchase from Civilian Marksmanship Program. Need lunch, drinks, eye and hearing protection and ground cloth. Fee $40. Call Southwest Club (601) 341-8797. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LA. BULLS EYE CONVENTIONAL PISTOL MATCH: 9 a.m., Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. Timed & Rapid-fire match, NRA rules, .22 rim fire, .22 centerfire & .45 ACP pistols. Fee $7. Call Skip Blanchard (504) 427-0050. Email: email@example.com.
- FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Conference Room, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- ORVIS FLY FISHING 101: 10 a.m.-noon, Orvis Shop, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Beginners basics of casting, rigging, knots. Also June 8. Call Orvis Shop (225) 757-7286.
- CAPITAL CITY BASS OPEN TEAM TOURNAMENT: Doiron’s Landing/East & West, Stephensville. $50/team tournament fee. 100-percent payback. Second in three-tournament series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 397-2071. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. NRA 200-yard match course. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MEMORIAL DAY
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs Call Pete Bongiovanni (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, 18499 La. 22. Maurepas. Fee $40/boat, $15/angler membership fee. $5 launch fee. Email Susan Carpenter: email@example.com.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 30 — CENLA CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Riverfront Center, 707 Main St., Alexandria. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- MAY 31-JUNE 1 — 16TH ANNUAL SAVE OUR LAKE & COAST FISHING RODEO: 2-5 p.m. May 31 & noon-4 p.m. June 1, Kenner Boat Launch, Williams Boulevard, Kenner. Pontchartrain Basin fishing area. Fees $40 adult rodeo & Kayak divisions, $15 youth rodeo. 8 species, Big Kahuna, Kayak Kahuna, Biggest Crab & 5-trout stringer categories. In conjunction with Mau 31-June 2 Back to the Beach Fest. Call (504) 836-2205. Website: http://www.saveourlake.org.
- JUNE 1 — LAKE CHARLES TROUT SHOOTOUT: Calcasieu Point Landing, Calcasieu Lake, Lake Charles. 7 a.m.-1 p.m. weigh-in. Prizes for heaviest fish each hour. 20 places overall CITGO Adult Division & 20 places Whitney Bank Youth Division. Fee $30 adult. Youths no fee when fishing with an adult. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- JUNE 1 — ORVIS FLY FISHING 201: 10 a.m.-noon, Orvis Shop, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Advanced casting, rigging, knots. Also June 15. Call Orvis Shop (225) 757-7286.
- JUNE 1 — CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT CLASS: Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Gordon Hutchinson instructor. Fee charged. Call Hutchinson (225) 335-1571. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- JUNE 1 — MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- JUNE 1 — TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/LOUISIANA DIVISION: Louisiana Delta, Bayou Segnette State Park, Westwego. Fee $200/boater, $100/co-angler. Fourth in five-event series. Top 40 boaters/co-anglers qualify for regional. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: www.weekendseries.com.
- JUNE 8-9 — LOUISIANA FREE FISHING WEEKEND: No recreational fishing license required for residents and nonresidents to fish in Louisiana freshwater and saltwater areas. Website: http://www.wlf.la.gov.
- JUNE 15 — 8TH ANNUAL EAST ASCENSION SPORTMAN’S LEAGUE SPORTING CLAYS SCRAMBLE: 8:30 a.m., Hunter’s Run Gun Club, Port Allen. 100-target Individual & Team events. Fee $80/shooter, $300/corporate teams (4), $125 station sponsor, includes lunch. Call Barney Callahan (225) 445-6870. Website: http://www.easlonline.org.
- HUNTING SEASONS
- SPRING SQUIRREL: Through Sunday (May 26). Daily limit 3. Possession limit 6 after opening day. Private lands only.e_SFlbHave an event? Email: email@example.com.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved