New Orleans Arts Calendar for May 23-29
- BENEITO’S ART: 3618 Magazine St., New Orleans. Jazz, blues and Carnival-themed oil paintings by Bernard Beneito. Gallery hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (504) 891-9170.
- CALLAN CONTEMPORARY: 518 Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. “Systems” by James Kennedy, on view through May 25. For more information, contact gallery owner Borislava Callan at (504) 525-0518 or visit the website at http://www.callancontemporary.com.
- CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER: 900 Camp St., New Orleans. “A Thousand Threads” by Luba Zygarewicz, through June 2. “Beyond ‘Beasts’: The Art of Court 13,” through June 16. “Brilliant Disguise: Masks and Other Transformations,” through June 16. “After You’ve Been Burned by Hot Soup You Blow in Your Yogurt” by Margot Herster, through Aug. 18; “I’m Not Lost, Just Undiscovered,” CAC Teen Board Curated Exhibition, through June 16. (504) 528-3800.
- DUTCH ALLEY ARTISTS’ CO-OP: 912 N. Peters St., New Orleans. Representing 25 local artists working in fabric, glass, clay, photography, etc. Open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. (504) 412-9220 or http://dutchalleyartistsco-op.com.
- THE FOUNDATION: 608 Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday; closed Sunday and Monday. Works by Zhang Chongguang on view through July 6. http://www.foundationgallerynola.com or (504) 568-0955.
- GARDEN DISTRICT GALLERY: 1332 Washington Ave., New Orleans. Louisiana Watercolor Society International Exhibition, through May 25. Gallery hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday; 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday. (504) 891-3032.
- JEAN BRAGG GALLERY OF SOUTHERN ART: 600 Julia St., New Orleans. “Earth, Sea & Sky, Paintings of the Gulf Coast,” works by Christopher Inglis Stebly, Melissa Smith, Susie Ranager, on view through May 31. Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (504) 895-7375 or http://www.jeanbragg.com. Free.
- LEMIEUX GALLERIES: 332 Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Emily Wilson “Water Garden” and recent works by Baton Rouge artist Kathyrn Hunter on view through May 25. (504) 522-5988.
- LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM-CABILDO: 751 Chartres St., New Orleans. “The Palm, the Pine and the Cypress: Newcomb Pottery of New Orleans,” major exhibition of Newcomb art pottery, through September. (504) 568-6968 or http://www.crt.state.la.us/museum/properties/cabildo.aspx.
- MARTIN LAWRENCE GALLERIES: 433 Royal St., New Orleans. Hours are: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., every day. Exhibit of works by René Lalonde on view through May. http://www.martinlawrence.com or (504) 299-9055.
- THE MCKENNA MUSEUM: 2003 Carondelet St., New Orleans. “Faces of Treme,” photographs by Chandra McCormick and Keith Calhoun. (504) 586-7432.
- M.S. RAU ANTIQUES: 630 Royal St., New Orleans. “Impressionism — Influences and Impact,” paintings by Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh and Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. (504) 523-5660.
- NEW ORLEANS MUSEUM OF ART: 1 Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. “Portrait of Faith: John Paul II in Life and Art,” through June 16. (504) 658-4100 or http://noma.org.
- OCTAVIA ART GALLERY: 4532 Magazine St., New Orleans. Joel Pickford: “Photographs of Southern Louisiana.” http://www.octaviaartgallery.com.
- OFFSTAGE GALLERY: Slidell Little Theatre, 2024 Nellie Dr., Slidell. A one-man show of the works of Nolan Lefort titled “Eclectic Expressions” will be on view through May as well as during the Ginny Awards on May 25. (985) 326-6822.
- OGDEN MUSEUM OF SOUTHERN ART: 925 Camp St., New Orleans. “The Art and Life of William R. Hollingsworth Jr.” and “Eudora Welty: Photographs from the 1930s and ’40s,” through July 14. “When You’re Lost, Everything’s a Sign: Self-Taught Art From The House of Blues,” through July 21. Ongoing: “Walter Inglis Anderson: Selections from the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art” and “Southern Regionalists from the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art.” http://www.ogdenmuseum.org or (504) 539-9600.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved