Livingston Parish calendar for May 16, 2013
- AWARDS AT ALBANY MIDDLE: 7:25 a.m. for eighth -graders, 8:50 a.m. for seventh-graders, 9:40 a.m. for sixth-graders and 10:30 a.m. for fifth-graders, Albany Middle School cafeteria, 29675 Reeves St., Albany.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch, 26941 La. 43. (225) 567-1441.
- BEAD TOWN WORKSHOP: 10 a.m. to noon, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., building next door to Old City Hall, 115 Mattie St., Denham Springs. The workshop is free and open to ages 8 and older. Participants will help Stephan Wanger, the mosaic artist behind the Bead Town exhibit, create three art pieces for the community. The workshop is held every Wednesday and Thursday until June 13. (225) 667-7512.
- GRIEF SUPPORT: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch, 8101 U.S. 190. (225) 665-8118.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch, 20390 Iowa St. The free conversational English classes are open to non-native English speakers at all levels of ability. (225) 686-2436.
- RECORDING ARTISTS: 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch, 36581 Outback Road. Patrons can record themselves singing, playing an instrument, rapping or reciting a poem. Registration is required. (225) 664-3693.
- HOW MONEY WORKS SERIES: 6 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. The three-part series covers financial basics and is on Thursdays. Registration is required.
- PARISH PUBLIC HEARINGS: 6 p.m., Governmental Building, north of the I-12 Livingston exit, next to the Health Unit. The Parish Council is currently reviewing a draft of the Parish Comprehensive Master Plan. Two council members will hear public comments and recommendations. The second council hearing will be at 8 p.m. May 23 at the same location.
- VETERANS ASSOCIATION MEETING: 6 p.m., Walker Municipal Building, 10136 Florida Blvd., Walker. The Livingston Parish Veterans Association meets on the third Thursday of each month. The association will discuss the Red, White and Blue celebration for July 4.
- FAMILY STORY TIME AND PUPPET SHOW: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The story time and puppet show will celebrate Children’s Book Week.
- EDWARD LIVINGSTON HISTORICAL ASSOC.: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- EYE IN THE SKY: 6:30 p.m., South Library Branch, 23477 La. 444. Patrons can learn about the moon, stars and other planets during the night sky viewing. (225) 698-3015.
- COMMODITY PICK-UP: 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., St. Vincent de Paul, 2171 Tower Drive, Denham Springs. Participants must bring their picture ID. Those who are not currently signed up must also bring proof of Livingston Parish residence and proof of income. (225) 665-1623.
- CRAFTS & COFFEE: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch. Patrons will make totes.
- BENEFIT FOR CHRISTY DOLL: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Friendship Community Benefit Center, corner of Walker North and Springfield roads. The center will sell jambalaya and pastalaya to help with Christy Doll’s medical expenses. Doll received chemotherapy for cancer five years ago and the cancer has returned. (225) 665-8809 or (225) 571-4951.
- BENEFIT COOK-OFF AND FUN DAY: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Lagniappe Restaurant, 30161 La. 22, Springfield. The event will benefit the Killian Police Department. An all-you-can-eat buffet will be served at 1 p.m. The event will feature hot air balloon rides, spacewalks, waterslides, a dunking booth, face painting, an auction and a raffle. (504) 415-6685 or (225) 937-9999.
- MAD TEA PARTY: 11 a.m., Livingston Library Branch. The library will hold a Mad Tea Party with a puppet show based on Alice in Wonderland, croquet, musical chairs, rhymes and a visit from the Mad Hatter, Alice and the white rabbit.
- BENEFIT MODEL SEARCH: 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., Unique Me Boutique, 31126 La. 16, Denham Springs. The Unique Me Boutique will hold a model search for its Summer Splash Fashion Show. Auditions for ages 3 to 11 will start at 11 a.m., followed by auditions by youths 12 and older at 1 p.m. The search has no entry fee, but each participant must have one 4X6 full body photograph and one 4X6 head shot photograph. Applicants must attend both the rehearsal on July 1 and the fashion show on July 6, organizers said. The show will be at Greystone Country Club. All proceeds from the show will go to the Mighty Moms. http://www.mightymomsgo.org.
- “PINOCCHIO” AT THE LIBRARY: 11 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. The Octavians, a Hammond theater group that performs children’s literature, fairytales and folk tales, will perform the classic tale, “Pinocchio.”
- SCIENCE SATURDAY: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., LIGO Science Education Center, Livingston. The event is free and has the theme, “Did You See That?” Participants will explore perception by touring the center and talking to LIGO science specialists. Participants will also get to see 12 exhibits for the last time since the exhibits are leaving the center. http://www.ligo-la.caltech.edu/SEC.html or (225) 686-3173.
- TEEN ANIME CLUB: 3 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Teens will watch and discuss anime and manga while learning about Japanese culture.
- BENEFIT GOSPEL SINGING: 7 p.m., Glory Baptist Church, 28450 Red Oak Road, Livingston. The benefit gospel singing will feature The Wilson’s and will help a family of four who were in a car accident in December. The father also had to have a kidney removed due to cancer. (225) 276-4553 or (225) 571-2185.
- BENEFIT SOCCER TOURNAMENT: LPSA Soccer Complex at Sidney Hutchinson Park, Corbin Avenue, Walker. The Sophia Miley Soccer Tournament Benefit will be Saturday and Sunday. It is open to players who are 8 and older. email@example.com or (225) 772-6417.
- COMMUNITY CELEBRATION: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Crossway Church, 10161 Florida Blvd., Walker. The free celebration will have food, music, spacewalks, games, face painting and more. (225) 665-1423.
- CHURCH REVIVAL: 10:30 a.m., New Beginnings Baptist Church, 9768 Florida Blvd., Walker. The revival will continue until Wednesday with nightly services at 7 p.m. Brother Marvin Wilson will serve as the guest speaker. (225) 445-4927.
- LUTHERAN SERVICE: 3 p.m., St. Francis Episcopal Church, 726 Maple St., Denham Springs. (225) 803-9636 or (225) 766-4610.
- LATCH-KEY ACADEMY REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Police Department, 447 Lamm St., Denham Springs. The deadline to register for the Denham Springs Police Summer Day Camp, Latch-Key Academy, is Sunday. Applications are at the Police Department. The camp has activities and classes that emphasize safety. It will be June 3-6. The registration fee is $10. Space is limited. (225) 665-5106, ext. 205.
- BABY AND TODDLER STORY TIME: 9:45 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- EXCEL BASICS: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch. The computer class is free.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- INTERMEDIATE WORD: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The computer class is free, but registration is required.
- DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS: 5 p.m., Watson Library Branch. Patrons can play Dungeons and Dragons and enter a mystical world of dragons, elves, humans, dwarves and other fantastical creatures.
- LIVINGSTON AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY: 7 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- DS ATHLETICS MEETING: 7 p.m., Big Mike’s, 123 Aspen Square, Denham Springs. The Denham Springs Athletic Association meeting is open to all supporters of Yellow Jacket athletics. (225) 754-2581 or (225) 791-3258.
- SMALL BUSINESS CONSULTING: 9 a.m. to noon, Albany-Springfield Library; 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Watson Library Branch. Patrons can receive private, one-hour consulting sessions on business planning, advertising and other small business topics. The Louisiana Small Business Development Center at Southeastern Louisiana University will sponsor. Registration is required.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- POWERPOINT BASICS: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The computer class is free, but registration is required.
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- YOUNG WRITERS CLUB: 5 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The club’s goal is to write for both publication and performance.
- IN STITCHES: 6 p.m., South Library Branch. The crocheting and knitting class is open to patrons who are 10 and older. Students should bring size 8 knitting needles or a size H crochet hook along with yarn.
- BEGINNER’S CHESS: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. Patrons can get hands-on chess practice with fellow novices. Registration is required.
- ECLECTIC BOOK CLUB: 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Members will discuss this month’s book, “The Year of Wonders” by Geraldine Brooks.
- AMVETS POST 68 MEETING: 7 p.m., Amvets Post 68, 26890 La. 42, Springfield. Amvets Post 68 meets the third Tuesday of each month. (225) 294-8968.
- STARTING A SMALL BUSINESS: 9 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The workshop will cover writing a business plan, finding sources of funds for startup and expansion, using small business resources and getting the required licenses.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., South Library Branch.
- STORIES, SONGS AND MORE: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- ALZHEIMER’S CAREGIVER SUPPORT: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- SUMMER READING FOR KIDS: Library hours, Youth Services desk at any of the five branches. Children are invited to take part in the summer reading program offered Wednesday through July 27. Children who sign up will read, attend library programs and earn prizes, such as a book bag or Sonic ice cream. They will also be entered into a drawing to win a bicycle or a gift card.
- SUMMER READING FOR TEENS: Library hours, Youth Services desk at any of the five branches. Teens, ages 12-18, are invited to take part in the summer reading program offered Wednesday through July 27. Teens who complete the program by reading books and attending library events will receive a backpack, a Raising Cane’s meal and a chance to win drawing prizes, such as an eReader or a gift card.
- COA MEETING: 9 a.m., Senior Center, 949 Government Drive, Denham Springs. The Livingston Council on Aging will hold its annual meeting where it will elect three board members from Livingston Parish. (225) 664-9343.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- RECORDING ARTISTS: 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch.
- SAVING AND INVESTING BASICS: 6 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Patrons can learn basic investing concepts. The class is part of a series of financial basics courses from Primerica. Registration is required.
- FLY TYING FOR BEGINNERS: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. Robert DeSoto, a fisherman, will lead a workshop on basic fly tying techniques. The library will provide the materials. Registration is required.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved