Outdoors calendar for May 12, 2013
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Resource Center for Educators, 5550 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge. Call Greg Brignac (225) 810-8645. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Wednesdays through Aug. 25 with Aug. 31 “classic.” Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, 18499 La. 22. Maurepas. Fee $40/boat, $15/angler membership fee. $5 launch fee. Email Susan Carpenter: email@example.com.
- BASSMASTER SOUTHERN OPEN: Lake Logan Martin, Pell City, Ala. Last in three-tournament series to qualify winners for 2014 Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway Public Landing. Fee $30/boat. Weekly Friday night event through Sept. 13. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- STAN BROCK’S BLACK & GOLD CLASSIC: 8 a.m., May 17, Sporting Clays Shoot; May 18, Saltwater Fishing Rodeo. Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Fees $2/target Sporting Clays (25-target minimum), $25/angler ($1,750/three-person teams sporting clays, guided fishing-rodeo trip with former New Orleans Saints player). Benefits Green Beret Foundation and Navy SEAL Fourndation. Call Bridge Side (985) 787-2419. Registration website: http://blackandgoldclassic.com.
- 7TH ANNUAL ITALIAN-AMERICAN FISHING RODEO: Breton Sound Marina, Hopedale. Fee $20 (no fee for children 14 and younger). Adult Division: redfish, wpeckled trout, white trout, flounder, sheepshead, black drum, bass, redfish under 27 inches, biggest fish; Children’s Division: speckled trout, redfish under 27 inches, black drum, dheepshead and redfish with most spots. Sponsorships available. Call Robbie Rabb (504) 957-4403 or Allen Catoire (504) 388-5625.
- SPRING CATCH-N-EAT FLY FISHING TRIP: Louisiana marsh fly-fishing trip. Sponsored by Red Stick Fly Fishers, Baton Rouge. Registration required. Call Randy Leonpacher (225) 769-1895. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- ORVIS FLY FISHING 101: 10 a.m.-noon, Orvis Shop, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Beginners basics of casting, rigging, knots. Also May 25 and June 8. Call Orvis Shop (225) 757-7286.
- HIGH POWER RIFLE XTC REGIONAL MATCH COURSE: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. NRA-approved 200-, 300- and 600-yard tournament. Open to public. Member fees $12/adult, $5/junior. Nonmember fees$15/adult, $5/junior. 80 rounds. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://www.PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- 4TH ANNUAL CADDO CONCLAVE: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Caddo Lake State Park, Karnack, Texas. Programs, fly tying demos, bamboo rodmaking, exhibitors, canoe and kayak demos. Fishing on premises. Call Mike Hawkins (903) 757-7295. Website: http://www.easttexasflyfishers.org.
- IFA REDFISH TOUR/LOUISIANA: Empire. Qualifier for respective Oct. 24-26 IFA championships, Houma. Call (478) 836-4266. Website: http://www.IFAredfishtour.com.
ATIONAL KIDS TO PARKS DAY
- SATURDAY, louisiana state parks, no fee
- STATE ARBORETUM: 2 p.m., Nature for Kids, Ville Platte.
- AUDUBON HISTORIC SITE: 10 a.m.-noon, Junior Ranger Day, St. Francisville.
- TICKFAW STATE PARK: 9:30 a.m., Amazing Animals Video; 11 a.m., Wild Crafts for Kids; 1:30 p.m., Nature Naturally! Springfield.
SUNDAY, MAY 19
- DOIRON’S TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. Third in five-tournament series. Call Larry Doiron (985) 397-3113.
- IFA KAYAK TOUR/LOUISIANA: Empire. Qualifier for respective Oct. 24-26 and Oct. 17-19 IFA championships, Houma. Call (478) 836-4266. Website: http://www.IFAredfishtour.com.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 22 — TANGI CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Twelve Oaks, 500 West Texas Ave., Hammond. Tickets $60, spouses $30, youths $25, corporate tables $480. Call Steve Parra (985) 974-1896 or Ryan Guerin (225) 952-9200.
- MAY 23 — POINTE COUPEE CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Scott Memorial Civic Center, New Roads. Tickets $60, spouses $30, youths $25. Call Nolan Reynerson (225) 952-9200.
- MAY 22-26 — 76TH DUCKS UNLIMITED NATIONAL CONVENTION: Hilton Hotel, Portland, Ore. Call (800) 453-8257. Website: http://www.ducks.org.
- MAY 24-26 — 17TH ANNUAL GRAND ISLE SPECKLED TROUT RODEO: Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Eight daily awards in speckled trout. Other categories: redfish, “rat” redfish, flounder, sheepshead, cobia, mangrove snapper, black drum and white trout. Louisiana Master Speckled Trout Angler of the Year event. Includes Youth/12-younger Division. Call Bridge Side Marina (985) 787-2419 or Bob Sevin (985) 787-2968.
- MAY 25 — STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO—S.T.A.R.: Opening day, summer-long saltwater fishing event. Truck/boats for specially tagged redfish. Prizes in several species categories. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana. Through Sept. 2. Entry fee and CCA membership required. Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- MAY 25 — CMP M1 GARAND RIFLE CLINIC: 8:30 a.m., Southwest Gun Club, McComb, Miss. Safety, history, use, operation and maintenance of M1 Garand. 35-round course of fire on NRA 100-yard course. Must be 18 years old. Successful completion allows M1 Garand purchase from Civilian Marksmanship Program. Need lunch, drinks, eye and hearing protection and ground cloth. Fee $40. Call Southwest Club (601) 341-8797. Email: email@example.com.
- MAY 31-JUNE 1 — 16TH ANNUAL SAVE OUR LAKE & COAST FISHING RODEO: 2-5 p.m. May 31 and noon-4 p.m. June 1, Kenner Boat Launch, Williams Boulevard, Kenner. Pontchartrain Basin fishing area. Fees $40 adult rodeo and kayak divisions, $15 youth rodeo. Eight species, Big Kahuna, Kayak Kahuna, biggest crab and five-trout stringer categories. In conjunction with May 31-June 2 Back to the Beach Fest. Call (504) 836-2205. Website: http://www.saveourlake.org.
- HUNTING SEASONS
- SPRING SQUIRREL: Saturday, opening day, through May 26. Daily limit 3. Possession limit 6 after opening day. Private lands and selected state wildlife management areas. Closed areas include Kisatchie National Forest, national wildlife refuges and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers lands.
Have an event? Email:
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved