Meatballs and Souga (Tomato Sauce)
Serves 12-15. Recipe is from Vicki Brooks.
3 tbls. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
8 (6-oz.) cans Contadina tomato paste
2 to 21/2 cans of water to each can of tomato paste
3/4 cup sugar
2 to 3 tsps. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil or 1 tbl. fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional: add small chunks of fresh Parmesan shortly before serving)
Mama’s Meatballs (see recipe)
1. In a large heavy pot, sauté onions in olive oil until soft. Remove pot from heat and add tomato paste. Return to heat; stirring frequently, cook on low heat until mixture no longer smells acidic (about ½ hour).
2. Add garlic. Add 16 to 20 tomato paste cans of water (for desired thickness), mixing well after adding each can. Stir in remaining ingredients, except meatballs. Simmer on low for 2-3 hours, stirring frequently. Check for seasoning and make adjustments if necessary.
3. Add meatballs and simmer another 2-3 hours, stirring frequently.
3 lbs. ground sirloin, or 2 lbs. ground sirloin and 1 lb. ground pork
2 eggs, beaten
1 medium onion, finely chopped
½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbls. dried parsley or ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
2 slices wet bread (soaked in ½ cup milk and then squeezed into meat)
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
2 tsps. salt
2 tsps. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
2. Roll into about 24 to 30 balls and place on baking dish sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray. Bake at 350 degrees until brown.
Recipe clarified on May 27, 2013.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved