For more than 56 years, the Friends of the New Orleans Public Library has helped the city of New Orleans build, maintain and service its libraries. Founded in 1957 to raise funds and public awareness for the building of the Main Library, the Friends group has consistently supported all of the city’s library branches.
Resources are generated through book sales, memberships and donations. There are many ways to participate and join the Friends in its mission to aid the libraries of New Orleans, but one of the easiest ways is to patronize the book sale held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Saturday in the carriage house behind the Milton H. Latter Branch, 5120 St. Charles Ave.
In addition to the Friends of the New Orleans Public Library book sale this Saturday, there are several fun events happening at many of our library locations.
At 11 a.m. Saturday, the Rosa F. Keller Branch & Community Center, 4300 S. Broad St., presents a musical story time with Ms. Kaya: “Books That Sing & Books That Swing.”
Musician-educator Kaya Martínez will facilitate an interactive session for young music lovers and their families that explores our musical heritage through children’s picture books.
This program is appropriate for children ages 18 months through 5 years old.
Also Saturday, the Latter Branch is hosting a Teddy Bear Tea Party beginning at 1 p.m. Guests are invited to read stories, drink tea, eat cookies and blow bubbles, all with their favorite teddy bear.
Disposable cups will be provided, but bringing your own teacup is recommended and don’t forget to bring your favorite teddy bear to join in the fun.
For more information about the Friends of the New Orleans Public Library, or details on any of the weekly free library events or programs, visit our website, http://neworleanspubliclibrary.org.
Charles Brown is executive director of the New Orleans Public Library.
NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARIES
3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641.
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: 11 a.m. daily.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday; 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- TEEN DRAWING CLUB: 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- Alvar Branch
913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. Monday.
- HOMEWORK HELP: 11 a.m. Saturday
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
- STITCH ’N’ BOOK KNITTING CIRCLE: 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- NOVAC SCREENWRITING SERIES: Time TBA Tuesday.
CENTRAL CITY BRANCH
2405 Jackson Ave., (504) 596-3110
- HOMEWORK HELP FOR GRADES 1-12: 4 p.m. Thursday.
- MOVIE FOR PRESCHOOLERS: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
913 Napoleon Ave., (504) 596-2628.
- STORYTIME & CRAFT (AGES 4-8): 4:30 p.m. Monday
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
5641 Read Blvd., (504) 596-0200
- HOMEWORK CLINIC: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 1 p.m. Saturday; 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- Hubbell Branch
225 Morgan St., (504) 366-0657.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS: 10:30 a.m. Thursday and Wednesday.
- PAJAMA STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
4300 S. Broad St., (504) 596-2660
- HOMEWORK HELP: 4:30 p.m. Thursday and Tuesday.
- COOKING FOR SENIORS: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: 10 a.m. Saturday, by appointment.
- BOOKS THAT SING AND BOOKS THAT SWING: 11 a.m. Saturday.
- E-BOOK FAIR: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS AND BABIES: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- MYHOUSENOLA FOOD TRUCK EVENT: 5 p.m., Tuesday.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
1611 Caffin Ave., (504) 596-2695.
- REWRITE- A WRITING WORKSHOP: 11 a.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
5120 St. Charles Ave., (504) 596-2625.
- BAD POETRY CONTEST-PUBLIC READING OF WINNING ENTRIES: 6 p.m. Thursday.
- SUNDAY MATINEES-FOR AGES 9 AND OLDER.: 2 p.m. Sunday.
- FRIENDS OF NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday.
- TEDDY BEAR TEA PARTY: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- LET’S TALK HAIKU: 6 p.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday; 6 p.m. Wednesday.
3700 Orleans Ave., (504) 596-2654.
- STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- HOMEWORK ASSISTANCE: 4 p.m. Wednesday.
1401 S. Carrollton Ave., (504) 596-2630.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
3001 Gentilly Blvd., (504) 596-3100.
- BOOKED FOR MURDER BOOK CLUB: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- WRITING WORKSHOPS LED BY YOUTHS (AGES 12-17): 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- MONDAY AFTER-SCHOOL MOVIE: 4 p.m. Monday.
- TUESDAY AFTERNOON TABLETOP GAMES: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
6301 Canal Blvd., (504) 596-2638.
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- TEEN HOMEWORK HELPER DATABASE TUTORING: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- LEGO CLUB: 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Main Library
219 Loyola Ave., (504) 596-2560.
- BOOK PARADE: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- CRAFTS WITH MISS ANDREA: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- SHARE A READ BOOK CLUB: 2 p.m., Saturday.
- COMICS KITCHEN: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved