The Rosa F. Keller Branch and Community Center, 4300 S. Broad St., is hosting a Cooking for Seniors program sponsored by the Broadmoor Improvement Association.
The next class will be at 5:30 p.m. Thursday . The program is led by teachers from Second Harvest and is aimed at teaching ages residents 50 and older to cook fast, healthy meals that won’t break the budget.
Groceries and other free items are presented upon completion of the course. Pre-registration is required by calling (504) 821-6633.
‘Water, Grain, Beer’
From Saturday through May 29 at the Main Library, 219 Loyola Ave., the New Orleans Public Library’s African-American Resource Center is hosting an exhibit titled “Sustaining Life: Water, Grain, Beer.”
The exhibit is curated by two groups from Southern University of New Orleans, the master’s in museum studies program and the Center for African and African-American Studies.
The exhibit consists of 12 ceramic vessels that were created for storing or consuming water, grain or beer. An opening reception will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday on the second floor of the Main Library.
Attention: Artistic teens
The Algiers Regional Branch, 3014 Holiday Drive, has developed a program just for teens who love to draw.
The Teen Drawing Club offers teens the opportunity to learn drawing techniques and a few tricks to make their art even better. It’s open to teens of all levels of experience and any style of art.
This new club begins at 4:30 p.m. Saturday and will be held every other Tuesday after that. Materials are provided, but teens can bring their own sketch pads, pens and pencils.
For information about these or any of our programs, visit the website at http://www.neworleanspubliclibrary.org.
NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARIES
3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641.
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: 11 a.m. daily.
- YOUNG ADULT CRAFT: 4 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday; 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- GIRLS FREADOM: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- TEEN DRAWING CLUB: 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- YOUNG ADULT HOMEWORK CLUB-AGES 12-18: 3 p.m. Wednesday.
913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. Monday.
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
- STITCH ’N’ BOOK KNITTING CIRCLE: 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
CENTRAL CITY BRANCH
2405 Jackson Ave., (504) 596-3110
- HOMEWORK HELP FOR GRADES 1-12: 4 p.m. Thursday.
- MOVIE FOR PRESCHOOLERS: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
913 Napoleon Ave., (504) 596-2628.
- KIDS MOVIE MATINEE: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME & CRAFT (AGES 4-8): 4:30 p.m. Monday
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
5641 Read Blvd., (504) 596-0200
- HOMEWORK CLINIC: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 1 p.m. Saturday; 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- Hubbell Branch
225 Morgan St., (504) 366-0657.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS: 10:30 a.m. Thursday and Wednesday.
- PAJAMA STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
4300 S. Broad St., (504) 596-2660
- HOMEWORK HELP: 4:30 p.m. Thursday and Tuesday.
- COOKING FOR SENIORS: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- READING TO ROVER: 6 p.m. Thursday.
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: 10 a.m. Saturday, by appointment.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS AND BABIES: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- BUSINESS WRITING ON DEMAND: 7 p.m. Monday.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
1611 Caffin Ave., (504) 596-2695.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
5120 St. Charles Ave., (504) 596-2625.
- POETRY BUFFET: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- FRIENDS OF NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday; 6 p.m. Wednesday.
3700 Orleans Ave., (504) 596-2654.
- STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- CRAFTS FOR KIDS: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- HOMEWORK ASSISTANCE: 4 p.m. Wednesday.
1401 S. Carrollton Ave., (504) 596-2630.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
3001 Gentilly Blvd., (504) 596-3100.
- WRITING WORKSHOPS LED BY YOUTHS (AGES 12-17): 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- DIVINE DESIGN SEWING: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- MONDAY AFTER-SCHOOL MOVIE: 4 p.m. Monday.
- TUESDAY AFTERNOON TABLETOP GAMES: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
6301 Canal Blvd., (504) 596-2638.
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- TEEN HOMEWORK HELPER DATABASE TUTORING: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- EW ORLEANS HOUSE STYLES: 3 p.m. Saturday.
- TEEN POTLUCK BOOK CLUB: 3 p.m. Saturday.
219 Loyola Ave., (504) 596-2560.
- BOOK PARADE: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- CRAFTS WITH MISS ANDREA: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- VIDEO GAME DAY: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- COMICS KITCHEN: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved