Vanilla Flan Cake
Serves 18-20. Adapted by Corinne Cook from an Eagle Brand recipe.
Nonstick cooking spray
1⁄3 to 1/2 cup Smucker’s Caramel Flavored Topping or Cajeta de Leche
1 (16.5-oz.) box butter cake mix
1 cup water
3 large eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
4 ozs. cream cheese, room temperature
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 (14-oz.) can condensed milk
1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour hot water, about 1½-inch deep into a large roasting pan (large enough to hold the bundt or tube pan). This is the water bath, or bain marie, you will bake the cake in. Spray (12-cup) bundt or angel food tube pan with nonstick cooking spray. Roll or bunch up a small piece of foil to “plug” the hole in the tube of pan. This will prevent cake from spilling over and also seal the pan. Pour caramel over bottom of prepared pan and set aside.
2. To make cake, follow these directions, not those on the cake mix box. In mixer bowl, add cake mix, water, vegetable oil and 3 eggs. Stir until all ingredients are mixed then beat on medium speed for 4 minutes. Pour batter evenly over caramel topping.
3. To make flan: In blender container (or large food processor bowl), combine cream cheese, 4 eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla. Process until blended. Slowly pour over cake batter.
4. Coat piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray and tightly cover pan, coated side down, with foil. Place tightly sealed pan in water bath, adding more hot water if necessary.
5. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven, in water bath, for 2 hours. After 2 hours, remove cake from water bath, remove all foil and place on cooling rack for 20 minutes. When cooled, invert onto serving plate. Cool 1 hour at room temperature then refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
6. Be careful when inverting hot cake onto serving plate.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved