Around Baton Rouge for April 20, 2013
- BATON ROUGE RUN FOR BOSTON: 8 a.m., Louisiana State Capitol. The run will represent the unity of Baton Rouge runners and those in Boston, as well as the medical support and volunteers who worked for the Boston Marathon. (504) 669-1530.
- LIFE BEGINS @ 50 EXPO: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Baton Rouge River Center, 275 River Road S. Event will feature health screenings, seminars, door prizes and health care services information. Parking is free.
- PLEDGE TO FLEDGE: 9 a.m., Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center, 10503 N. Oak Hills Parkway. Event features a bird walk, informational sessions, feeding and gardening for hummingbirds, and more. Included in standard admission to center. Bring binoculars. (225) 272-9200.
- CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION BREAKFAST: 9 a.m., Camphor Memorial United Methodist Church, 8742 Scenic Highway. Metro Councilwoman Chauna Banks-Daniel and the Daughters of Naomi will discuss ways of identifying and reporting possible child abuse or negligent behaviors. (225) 389-4699.
- FAIRY GODMOTHER PROM EXTRAVAGANZA: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave. Metro Councilwoman C. Denise Marcelle will give away prom dresses and tuxedos, as well as free make-up and haircuts.
- 4-H TREES, TRAILS & CLOVERS HIKE: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Burden Center, 4560 Essen Lane. The 4-H & Youth Development fundraiser features educational hiking trails and other activities. Cost is $5 per vehicle.
- NATIONAL ASTRONOMY DAY: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 River Road S. Learn about astronomy. Event included in general admission to the museum. http://www.lasm.org.
- ALL THE KING’S MEN: 7:30 p.m., Reilley Theatre, Tower Drive, LSU campus. Production inspired by the life of Governor Huey P. Long. Tickets are $28 per adult, $19 per senior, faculty member, staff member and $15 per student. (225) 578-3527.
- FLY FISHING 101: 11 a.m., Orvis, 7601 Bluebonnet Blvd. Learn the difference between fly fishing and conventional fishing. For ages 12 through adult. Admission is free, but reservations are required. This class will be held at 8 a.m. on subsequent Saturdays through June 15. (225) 757-7286.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved