Livingston Parish calendar for April 18, 2013
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch, 26941 La. 43. (225) 567-1441.
- PUBLISHER BASICS: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch, 36581 Outback Road. The computer class is free. (225) 664-3693.
- GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch, 8101 U.S. 190. (225) 665-8118.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch, 20390 Iowa St. Conversational English classes are open to non-native English speakers at all levels of ability. (225) 686-2436.
- BEESWAX CANDLE MAKING: 6 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Patrons, ages 18 and older, are invited to make two-toned tapered beeswax candles. Registration is required.
- FAMILY STORY TIME AND PUPPET SHOW: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- EDWARD LIVINGSTON HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- VINTAGE JUNKIE WORKSHOP: 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Hummell Street Gallery, 133 Hummell St., Denham Springs. The Arts Council of Livingston Parish will sponsor the “Shabby Chandelier Vintage Junkie Workshop,” where participants will use vintage paper, old photos, buttons, baubles and glitter to create shabby chandeliers. Shelly Frederick, an artist, will lead the workshop. The cost is $55. Registration is required as space is limited. (225) 664-1168.
- KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION: 9 a.m. to noon, Freshwater Elementary, 1025 Cockerham Road, Denham Springs; 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., Frost School, 19672 La. 42, Livingston; 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Holden School, General Delivery, Holden; 9 a.m. to noon; and Live Oak Elementary, 35194 Old La. 16, Watson. Frost and Holden schools will also have pre-kindergarten registration. All parents must bring a certified birth certificate, Social Security card, complete immunization record and four proofs of residence to register. http://www.lpsb.org or (225) 686-7044.
- MISS HEART USA PAGEANT: 9 a.m., LaFleur’s Restaurant and Event Center, 6865 Magnolia Beach Road, Suite E, Denham Springs. The pageant’s theme is “Safari Wear.” It will have divisions for all ages. The entry fee is $35 and 10 nonperishable food items. To register, visit http://www.missheartoftheusa.com/denhamspringsla or call (225) 933-9514.
- HORSE SHOW: 9 a.m., South Park Arena, 30372 Eden Church Road, Denham Springs. The Livingston Horse Show Association will hold an open horse show, which will start with halter, followed by judged and timed events. (225) 664-3150.
- CAR, TRUCK & BIKE SHOW: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Stine Home and Yard, 29200 Walker South. All proceeds from the show will go to Women Outreaching Women. Awards will be presented to the top five cars, trucks, bikes and the best in show. Participants can also purchase jambalaya and drinks. Registration is $15. To register, call (225) 667-7209, (225) 278-7001, (225) 305-3158, (225) 405-4713 or (225) 933-7910.
- NORIS AND BERTA HOOD FAMILY REUNION: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., South Park. Participants should bring a covered dish. (225) 243-7534.
- PRACTICE ACT: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Students can prepare for the ACT by taking a full-length practice test. The test proctor will speak about how to read the practice scores and raise the ACT. Register at http://www.PrincetonReview.com.
- WALKER BAPTIST FESTIVAL: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Walker Baptist Church, 10696 Florida Blvd. (225) 665-8368.
- BROADWAY CAR SHOW: Noon to 6 p.m., at 7755 Magnolia Bridge Road and La. 16. The show will feature music from the Megan Miller Band and a car contest starting at 2 p.m. Child Advocacy Cervices/CASA and Blue Star Moms will also be at the event. Participants can register their cars, trucks or bikes starting at noon for $10 per entry. (225) 291-1234 or (225) 272-0333.
- SCIENCE SATURDAY: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., LIGO Science Education Center, 19100 Ligo Lane, Livingston. Theme is “Catch a Wave.” Participants can learn about different types of waves. Admission is free. http://www.ligo-la.caltech.edu/SEC.html or (225) 686-3173.
- TEEN ANIME CLUB: 3 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The club will watch and discuss anime and manga while learning about Japanese culture.
- DOYLE HIGH CLASS OF ‘73 REUNION: 6 p.m., Livingston Country Club, 29250 South Magnolia St., Livingston. The Doyle High School Class of 1973 will hold its 40-year reunion. The reunion will have jambalaya and white beans. (225) 456-3103 or email@example.com.
- VINTAGE CLOTHING EXHIBIT: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Old City Hall, 115 Mattie St., Denham Springs. The exhibit includes clothing and accessories from the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s.
- GEAUX CAJUN: 3:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Patrons are invited to celebrate Cajun lore, music and dance with the Cajun dance group, Les Danseurs de la Capitale de Baton Rouge.
- SUNDAY SCHOOL ROUND UP: Judson Baptist Church, 32470 Walker Road North, Walker. The goal of the round up is to reach 300 people in Sunday School. Participants should wear Western clothes. (225) 665-5481.
- BABY AND TODDLER STORY TIME: 9:45 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- PUBLISHER BASICS: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch. The computer class is free.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- INTERMEDIATE INTERNET: 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The computer class is free, but registration is required.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- PUBLISHER BASICS: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- TEEN ADVISORY BOARD: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The board suggests programs, volunteers at the library and helps choose books for the Young Adult section.
- SCI-FI BOOK CLUB: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- IN STITCHES: 6 p.m., South Library Branch, 23477 La. 444. Patrons will learn about the basics of crochet and knitting. Students should bring size eight knitting needles or size H crochet hook. (225) 698-3015.
- ELEMENTARY ART CLASS: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., South Live Oak Elementary School, Room 602, 8400 Cecil Drive, Denham Springs. Students in grades two through six will focus on the elements of art and the principles of design. Students should bring No. 2 pencils and a drawing pad. The cost is $40 for members of the Arts Council of Livingston Parish and $45 for others. To enroll, call (225) 954-2700.
- STORIES, SONGS AND MORE: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., South Library Branch.
- WORD BASICS: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Pre-registration is required.
- ALZHEIMER’S CAREGIVER SUPPORT: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- ANIME ADDICTS: 6 p.m., Watson Library Branch. Members will watch and discuss anime and manga while learning about Japanese culture.
- FREE CYCLE DONATIONS: Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Patrons can donate household decorations, cookware, small furniture, toys and electronics for the library’s “Free Cycle” event. Donations are welcome Wednesday and Thursday.
- GREEN CLEANING SUPPLIES: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Celebrate Earth Day by making green, all-purpose cleaners with natural ingredients. Registration is required.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- SOUTH BRANCH BOOKIES: 5:30 p.m., South Library Branch.
- DISTRICT 95 MEETING: 6 p.m., Town Hall, 20550 Circle Drive, Livingston. State Rep. Sherman Mack will answer questions and share views on the 2013 Legislative Session.
- GREEN CLEANING SUPPLIES: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Celebrate Earth Day by making a green, all-purpose cleaner that contains natural ingredients. Registration is required.
- FLOWER GARLAND WORKSHOP: 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Hummell Street Gallery. The Arts Council of Livingston Parish will host a “Flower Garland Vintage Junkie Workshop” designed by artist Shelly Frederic. Participants will use vintage paper, old fabric and trim, buttons and crystals to make a hanging garland. The fee is $45. Registration is required as space is limited. (225) 664-1168.
- COMPUTER BASICS: 6 p.m., Watson Library Branch. The computer class is free.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved