Elvin Drive fire destroys shed
St. George Fire Department personnel put out a fire that started in a storage shed behind a residence at 1015 Elvin Drive and spread to parts of a nearby fence, a spokesman said Saturday.
Fire investigators were working to determine the cause of the blaze, Assistant Fire Chief Chad Roberson said.
The $10,000 shed is considered a total loss, Roberson said
Neighbors who noticed the shed was on fire called St. George, which serves an unincorporated area of southern East Baton Rouge Parish, before notifying the occupants of the house, Roberson said.
Firefighters arrived on the scene at 2:50 p.m., two minutes after receiving the call, and extinguished the fire 11 minutes later, Roberson said.
“The fence was burning, but our main objective was to keep it off the house,” Roberson said.
No injuries were reported, Roberson said.
Sixteen arrested on DWI counts in EBR
Authorities arrested at least 16 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish, including John Day, of Baton Rouge, on a fifth-offense DWI, and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- John Day, 40, 11031 Stanley Aubin Lane, Baton Rouge, fifth-offense DWI and speeding.
- Preston Fontana, 26, 2560 Rittiner Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and equipment violation.
- John Garrick, 32, 574 N. Beaugh St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, simple battery, aggravated criminal damage to property, aggravated assault, interfering with medical treatment and intentional exposure to the AIDS virus.
- Victor Gutierrez, 29, 16020 Nehru Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and operating a vehicle without a lawful presence in the U.S.
- Isaac Hawkins, 63, 856 St. John Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Jasen Higginbotham, 34, 10487 Wade Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, failure to signal/improper turn, reckless operation of a vehicle, other laws of the road, speeding and improper lane usage.
- James Holmes, 23, 3101 Highland Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, headlights required and possession of marijuana.
- Thanh Huong, 35, 738 Alaynas Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Eric Jones, 22, 2506 S. Magnolia Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
- Madeline Joyner, 21, 4005 Nicholson Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and passing on the right.
- Jasmine Martin, 25, 5547 N. Foster Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, license plate required, reckless operation of a vehicle, motor vehicle inspection required and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Cameron McCaleb, 20, 11411 Cypress Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and misuse of a dealer’s license.
- Michael Ogden, 24, 1111 Pelican Lakes Parkway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to dim headlights.
- Quenton Richardson, 28, 6148 D’Juanna Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and license plate light required.
- Kerry Sanders, 50, 37256 Prairie Drive, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked and speeding.
- Alanzo Vergo, 43, 1116 Seville St., Baker, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana, improper lane usage and driver’s license expired.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call 388-0469.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved