Around Baton Rouge for April 10, 2013
- METRO COUNCIL: 4 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall, 222 St. Louis St.
- COMMUNITY MEETING ON NEW MAGNET PROGRAMS: 6 p.m., Delmont Elementary, 5300 Douglas St. The East Baton Rouge Parish School System will hold a series of informational meetings to inform the community about new magnet programs, magnet schools and the application process. http://www.ebrschools.org.
- SENIOR EXPO: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Cortana Mall, Entrance 2, next to Virginia College. The East Baton Rouge Parish Seniors and Law Enforcement Together will present the free expo, which will have lunch, health screenings, door prizes and presentations. Mayor-President Kip Holden and District Attorney Hillar Moore III will be the featured speakers. Call (225) 892-4968 to RSVP.
- MUSLIM JOURNEYS BOOK DISCUSSION: 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Carver Branch Library, 720 Terrace St. “Bridging Cultures: Muslim Journeys Book Discussion: A Conference of Birds” will talk about “A Conference of Birds,” the 12th century Sufi poem that is a classic work of medieval literature. (225) 389-7450.
- PROJECT PURR CAT ADOPTIONS: 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Mall of Louisiana, second floor near Dillards. All adult cats are half price. http://www.projectpurrbr.org.
- TEEN POETRY CAFE: 6:30 p.m., Zachary Branch Library, 1900 Church St. Teens are invited to read poetry of their choice with an emphasis on the works of Edgar Allan Poe. The event also will have a family-friendly costume contest and refreshments, including decaf coffee, teas, cookies and popcorn.
- PIG IN A POE-KE FAMILY NITE BINGO: 7 p.m., Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road. The family bingo night will center on the works of Edgar Allan Poe. (225) 756-1150.
- ‘A DOLL’S HOUSE’: 7 p.m., Frank Hayden Hall Theatre, Southern University campus. The play is a Department of Theatre production. Tickets are $5 for general admission and $3 for students.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved