Shrimp ’n’ Grits à la Janice
Serves 12. Recipe is from Janice DeLerno.
Garlic cheese grits:
6 cups cooked grits
2 cups cheddar cheese
2 tbls. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbls. granulated garlic
1 tbl. Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning
1 tbl. paprika
1 stick butter
4 ozs. Philadelphia cream cheese
Shrimp in sauce:
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup finely chopped tasso
1 cup chopped green onions
2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine or mashed
½ cup diced green onions
2 lbs. medium shrimp, shelled and deveined with heads removed and tails left on
¼ cup white wine
1 cup half-and-half
Tony Chacherie’s Original Creole Seasoning, to taste
¼ cup dried shrimp
1. Cook grits according to package directions. Add rest of ingredients and blend with whisk.
2. Pour into buttered 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
3. To make Shrimp in Sauce: Sauté tasso in olive oil until crisp then remove and save in small bowl. Add ¼ cup green onions, garlic and green pepper and sauté until wilted. Then add shrimp and toss until they turn pink. (Be careful not to overcook or they will be tough.) Remove shrimp and set aside.
4. Deglaze pan with white wine, then add half-and-half, seasoning and reduce until slightly thickened. Put tasso, cooked shrimp and dried shrimp into sauce.
5. Serve shrimp over Garlic Cheese Grits. Garnish with more green onions.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved