Outdoors Calendar for March 31, 2013
- COMMERCIAL/RECREATIONAL FISHING CLOSURE FOR ALL SHARKS: Gulf of Mexico-wide closure, through 12:01 p.m. July 1.
- RECREATIONAL TAKE OF SHALLOW-WATER GROUPERS OPENS: Federal waters, Gulf of Mexico. Includes gag, black, red, yellowfin, scamp and yellowmouth groupers. Recreational take of gag grouper remains closed until June 30.
- SPECKLED TROUT SEMINAR: 6:30 p.m., Grace Presbyterian Church, Roselawn Boulevard, Lafayette. No fee. Fourth in five-seminar series covering fly fishing for trout, redfish, flounder and other species.
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Wednesdays through Aug. 25 with Aug. 31 “classic.” Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, 18499 La. 22. Maurepas. Fee $40/boat, $15/angler membership fee. $5 launch fee. Email Susan Carpenter: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Waddill Outdoor Education Center, 4142 North Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge.
- PLAQUEMINES CHAPTER CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Belle Chasse Auditorium, 8398 La. 23, Belle Chasse. Tickets $60, spouses $30, $25 youths, Call Nolan Reynerson (225) 952-9200.
- BASSMASTER SOUTHERN OPEN: Douglas Lake, Dandridge, Tenn. Second in three-tournament series to qualify winners for 2014 Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway Public Landing. Fee $30/boat. Weekly Friday night event through Sept. 13. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- 66TH ANNUAL NEW ORLEANS CITY PARK BIG BASS RODEO & FISHTIVAL: 6:30-11 a.m. fishing; 9 a.m.-noon Fishtival. Fishing fee $10/13-older, $5 youths; no fee to attend Fistival. Fishing categories: Bass/rod & reel, Bass/fly rod, Junior (12-younger), Rio Grande Roundup Team & Catfish Kids (one live catfish for 16-younger). Casting contests, educational exhibits, fly tying, raffles. Call Kaye Florane (504) 833-3266. Website: http://www.neworleanscitypark.com/bigbass.
- LADIES DAY OUTS: 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Cabela’s, off La. 30, Gonzales. Women only. Outdoors seminars, activities, clothing, equipment, hunting, archery, fishing. Door prizes. No preregistration needed. Call Cabela’s (225) 743-3400. Website: http://www.Cabelas.com.
- MID RANGE REGIONAL RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIPS: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- INAUGURAL U.S. OPEN BOWFISHING CHAMPIONSHIP: 7 p.m. April 6-7 a.m. April 7, Long Creek Marina, Table Rock Lake, Branson, Mo. Sponsored by Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats. Common carp, grass carp, bighead carp, freshwater drum, buffalofish & alligator gar. No gamefish allowed to be taken. Info website: http://www.basspro.com/usopen. Registration website: http://www.Centralpro-am.com. Call Casey Rains (417) 334-4860.
AROUND THE CORNER
- APRIL 8— RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Resource Center for Educators, 5550 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge. Regular monthly program. Call Greg Brignac (225) 810-8645. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- APRIL 10 — BATON ROUGE CHAPTER/CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., John M. Parker Age Center, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, live/silent auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $600 tables. Call Rad Trascher (225) 952-9200.
- APRIL 13 — WOMEN IN THE WILD/FISHING BASICS: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Cabela’s, off La. 30, Gonzales. Women only. Rigging, casting, fish ID & cleaning, boat safety, trailering a boat. No fee. Class limited to 35. Sponsored by La. Department of Wildlife & Fisheries, Cabela’s. Email registration: email@example.com.
- APRIL 16 — ACADIANA CHAPTER CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Frem F. Boustany Center, Heymann Center, Lafayette. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths. Call Stuart Billeaud (337) 278-7560 or Ryan Guerin (225) 952-9200.
- APRIL 19-20 — CCA LOUISIANA INAUGURAL SPORTING CLAYS CLASSIC: Covey Rise Farms, Husser. Warm-up shoot, John Besh supper, 4:30-9 p.m., April 19; 4-shooter teams, 7:30 a.m. registration, shoot & lunch, April 20. Call Nolan Reynerson (225) 952-9200.
- APRIL 27 — 5TH-ANNUAL LAKESHORE LIONS CLAYS FOR CHILDREN: 8 a.m., Hunter’s Run Gun Club, Port Allen. 4-shooter teams. 100-target sporting clays. 12-gauge and 20-gauge shells provided. Fee $125/adults, $100/under-14 youths (includes breakfast, lunch). Sponsorships available. Benefits Lions Physically Challenged Children’s Camp & Eye Foundation. Call Lions Club (225) 931-7900. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- TURKEY: Through Sunday (April 7), Area C lands; through April 14, Area B lands; through April 21, Area A lands. Limit: 1 per day, 2 per season. Must use state turkey tags.
Have an event? Email: http://firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved