Classic Jelly Roll With Strawberries and Clear Lemon Filling
Makes 1 cake roll; serves 8. Recipe for the cake (sponge part) is from “Cakes From Scratch In Half the Time” by Linda West Eckhardt. The Clear Lemon Filling is by Corinne Cook.
5 large eggs
½ tsp. cream of tartar
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup sifted cake flour
Filling (your choice of jam, jelly, chopped fresh fruit and whipped cream, or Clear Lemon Filling)
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Clear Lemon Filling
¾ cup sugar
3 tbls. cornstarch
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup water
1 tbl. butter
2 tbls. grated lemon zest
1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice, add more if desired
For assembling cake
1½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
Whipped cream or whipped topping for garnish, if desired
1. Prepare Clear Lemon Filling: In medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water. Bring mixture to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon rind.
2. Gradually stir in lemon juice, taste and add more juice if desired. Transfer to small bowl and cool thoroughly.
3. To make cake: Arrange rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to between 350-375 degrees. (Book suggested 400 degrees, but that was too hot in my oven.) Line a 15½- by 10½-inch shiny aluminum jelly roll pan with a Silpat or parchment paper. Place the unbroken eggs in a bowl of hot tap water for 5 minutes before separating.
4. Separate the eggs into 2 large bowls. Beat the egg whites in a stand mixer on high speed with the cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Add ¼ cup sugar, a spoonful at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
5. In the second bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla and remaining ¼ cup sugar until thick and ribbonlike, about 5 minutes or until light and thick. Remove from mixer and fold in the flour mixture until blended. Gently fold the yolk mixture into the beaten whites.
6. Transfer the batter to the baking pan, spreading it evenly. Bake until cake top springs back at the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.
7. Sift confectioners’ sugar onto a clean kitchen towel and then flip the warm cake onto the towel. Peel off the Silpat or paper. Starting from the long side, roll the cake and towel up together and cool completely on a rack.
8. Unroll the cake, coat the top of the cake with the cooled Clear Lemon jelly or filling of your choice and sprinkle with chopped strawberries.
9. Carefully roll up again, from the long side, without the towel, and transfer to a serving plate. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and garnish top with dollops of cream and fresh berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved