White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is by Beth Colvin.
4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 stick butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 tsps. minced garlic
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
4 cups white cheddar, divided
1⁄8 tsp. white pepper
Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. While it’s boiling, prepare the cheese sauce.
2. Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
3. Add flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then stir in milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of cheese and, stirring frequently, cook until melted.
4. Add seasonings and, continuing to stir, cook about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingy.
5. Drain the pasta and remove to a large bowl. Pour the cheese sauce over the warm pasta and stir to combine. Pour pasta into a 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole dish. Top with 1 cup shredded white cheddar and bread crumbs.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved