Serves 8. Recipe, provided by Cooking Matters, is from chef Arthur Bimbaum, Ithaca, N.Y.
11/2 lbs. seasonal vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, turnips or bell peppers
2 medium onions
4 ozs. low-fat cheddar cheese
12 medium eggs
1 tsp. dried dill, thyme or oregano
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
8 ozs. mushrooms
1/4 cup fresh parsley, thyme or basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse and chop veggies, onions, mushrooms and fresh herbs, if using. Grate cheddar.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the veggies and boil about 30 seconds, then drain.
3. In a large bowl, whip eggs with a fork until well blended. Whisk in dried herbs and set aside.
4. Coat a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and boiled veggies. Continue cooking until soft and some of their juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
5. Coat a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer ingredients in the baking dish in the following order: veggie mixture, egg mixture, cheese, salt and pepper.
6. Bake until eggs are firm and cheese is melted, about 35 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved