New Orleans events calendar for April 11-17, 2013
- BOOK DISCUSSION: 6 p.m., the Cabildo, 701 Chartres St., New Orleans. Historian Emily Clark discusses her new book, “The Strange History of the American Quadroon: Free Women of Color in the Revolutionary Atlantic World.” Free and open to the public; refreshments served. (504) 568-6968.
- ROCKIN’ THE RAILS: 5 p.m.-7 p.m., 419 N. New Hampshire, Covington. Free outdoor concert featuring Bonerama. (985) 892-1873 or http://www.covla.com.
- 30TH ANNIVERSARY GALA: 8 p.m., Antoine’s Restaurant, 713 Saint Louis St., New Orleans. Cocktail attire. Tastings by Antoine’s and other Festival favorites. Open bar courtesy of Abita Brewing Company and Republic Beverages. Entertainment provided by Jeremy Davenport, Harmonouche, The Roots of Music. A portion of the proceeds will go to the Roots of Music. http://therootsofmusic.com or (504) 460-2611.
- RAY NAGIN- THE GOING AWAY PARTY: 8 p.m., Andrea’s Italian, 3100 19th St., Metairie. Comedy show by Chris Champagne and Philip Melancon. $15. (504) 330-9117.
- FRENCH QUARTER FESTIVAL: 10 a.m., French Quarter, 400 N. Peters St., New Orleans. Second-line parades, children’s events, world championship oyster eating competition, courtyard tours, battle of the bands, dancing at dusk. http://www.fqfi.org.
- MOONBUG: 7:30 p.m., Prytania Theatre, 5339 Prytania St., New Orleans. http://www.theprytania.com.
- COVINGTON FARMER’S MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, 609 N. Columbia St., Covington. Music by Vintage Jazz at 9:30 a.m., fresh produce, seafood, meat and dairy products, herbs, baked goods, tamales, plants, crafts and more. http://www.covingtonfarmersmarket.org.
- PIETY STREET MARKET: 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Old Ironworks, 612 Piety St., New Orleans. Art, crafts, vintage, flea, great food. Live music by Joe Cabral & Dave Rebeck. Free. (504) 269-3982.
- COCHON COTILLION BENEFITING BRIDGE HOUSE / GRACE HOUSE: 7 p.m.- 11 p.m., Blaine Kern’s Mardi Gras World, East Bank, New Orleans. Food, drinks, raffle, music by Mike Morris and ELS, and the Krewe of Pork and Beads’ indoor parade. $100. (504) 821-7135 or http://www.bridgehouse.org.
- SLIDELL LITTLE THEATRE-GOLDEN GALA: 7 p.m., Chateau Bleu, 106 W. Hall Ave., Slidell. Food, drinks, music, prizes. $20; free, Patron members. http://www.slidelllittletheatre.org.
- RUN FOR HEALTH: 11 a.m., LaSalle Park Walking Track, 6600 Airline Dr., Metairie. Proceeds benefit Healthy Lifestyle Choices. $25, includes entry, T-shirt and ticket to New Orleans Zephyrs game. http://www.hlconline.org or (504) 299-1966.
- GARDEN PARTY: 4 p.m., City Park, New Orleans. Outdoor concert featuring The Iguanas and Los Po-Boy-Citos. No outside food and drink. (504) 301-4600.
- FILM SCREENING - “HOGAN’S HEROES” (1965): 7:30 p.m., Stage Door Canteen, National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. http://www.nationalww2museum.org.
- USED BOOK SALE: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday, Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans, New Orleans. Sponsored by the Friends of the UNO Library. Thousands of books at low prices. Bake sale and raffle. $5 for the first two hours on Tuesday (10 a.m.-noon) and free admission afterward. (504) 280-6556 or (504) 250-6028.
- BOOK SIGNING: 6 p.m.-8 p.m., The Historic New Orleans Collection, 533 Royal St., New Orleans. Celebration and book signing for the release of “A Company Man: The Remarkable French-Atlantic Voyage of a Clerk for the Company of the Indies.” (504) 523-4662.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved