New Orleans arts calendar for March 28-April 3, 2013
- OPENING RECEPTION: Jean Bragg Gallery of Southern Art, 600 Julia St., New Orleans. Opening reception for “Painting on Site” by Steve Bourgeois. Exhibit is on view through April 30. (504) 895-7375 or http://www.jeanbragg.com.
- THE ARTS COUNCIL OF NEW ORLEANS GALLERY: 935 Gravier St., New Orleans. Group show, “Crafter’s Paradise: Selections from the Louisiana Crafts Guild” featuring the work of Anita Ahrens, Amy Anderson, Greg Arceneaux, Annette Aucion, Rosalyn Bernard, Susan Breeland, Luann Duhon, Michelle Fontenot, John Gargano, Michelle Hudelot, Emma Hughes, Pat Juneau, Cynthia Kilgore, Laura Glen Lawson, Mandie Lucas, Terry Palmer, Andrew Jackson Pollack, Mark Sanders, and David and Emily Wortman, through Sunday.
- ASHÉ CULTURAL ARTS CENTER: 1712 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., New Orleans. The New Orleans Chapter of the National Conference of Artists, in partnership with the New Orleans African American Museum of Art, Culture and History, presents “Loving Your Enemies,” celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the civil rights movement, and those working to further peace and human understanding. The exhibition, which runs through Saturday, will feature the work of local and national artists. (504) 715-8137.
- CALLAN CONTEMPORARY: 518 Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mitchell Lonas’ “Zelma” on display through Saturday. For more information, please contact gallery owner Borislava Callan at (504) 525-0518 or visit our website at http://www.callancontemporary.com.
- CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER: 900 Camp St., New Orleans. “Color Fall Down,” photographs by Priya Kambli until Sunday, April 6. (504) 528-3800.
- DUTCH ALLEY ARTISTS’ CO-OP: 912 St. Peters St., New Orleans. Representing 25 local artists working in fabric, glass, clay, photography, collage, painting, jewelry, wood, mixed media and printmaking. Open daily, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (504) 412-9220 or http://dutchalleyartistsco-op.com.
- THE FOUNDATION: 608 Julia St., New Orleans. “The Offing,” an exhibition of new paper collages by New York-based artist Casey Ruble, through April 20. Gallery hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday; closed Sunday and Monday. For more information, visit http://www.foundationgallerynola.com or phone (504) 568-0955.
- JEAN BRAGG GALLERY OF SOUTHERN ART: 600 Julia St., New Orleans. Carol Hallock, through Sunday. “Painting on Site” by Steve Bourgeois, April 6-30. (504) 895-7375 or http://www.jeanbragg.com. Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Free.
- JONATHAN FERRARA GALLERY: 400a Julia St., New Orleans. Brian Borrello-Dark Matter, through Saturday. Gallery hours: 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday and by appointment (504) 522-5471 or http://www.jonathanferraragallery.com.
- LEMIEUX GALLERIES: 332 Julia St., New Orleans. Exhibition of mixed-media paintings by Chris Guarisco until March 30. New paintings by Billy Solitario will remain on view until April 12. Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (504) 522-5988.
- LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM-CABILDO: 751 Chartres St., New Orleans. The Palm, the Pine and the Cypress: Newcomb Pottery of New Orleans, major exhibition of Newcomb art pottery, through September. (504) 568-6968 or http://www.crt.state.la.us/museum/properties/cabildo.aspx.
- MARTIN LAWRENCE GALLERIES: 433 Royal St. Works by Liudmila Kondakova, though March. Hours are: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., every day. http://www.martinlawrence.com or (504) 299-9055.
- MID CITY THEATRE : 3540 Toulouse St., New Orleans. The 5th Annual Femme Fest Exhibition “Celebrating The Art of Women” showcases Louisiana women artists at Mid City Theater during Cabaret Month. Organized by the Women’s Caucus for Art of Louisiana (WCA/LA), more than 45 women artists are showing their original art through April 20th as part of Women’s History Month Celebrations. Art can be viewed daily, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. http://midcitytheatre.wordpress.com.
- M.S. RAU ANTIQUES: 630 Royal St., New Orleans. “Impressionism — Influences and Impact,” paintings by Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh and Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. (504) 523-5660.
- THE MCKENNA MUSEUM: 2003 Carondelet St., New Orleans. “Faces of Treme,” photographs by Chandra McCormick and Keith Calhoun. (504) 586-7432.
- NEW ORLEANS MUSEUM OF ART: 1 Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. (504) 658-4100 or http://noma.org.
- “REINVENTING NATURE: Art from the School of Fontainebleau,” through May 19. “FOREVER” Mural by Odili Donald Odita, through October. “Portrait of Faith: John Paul II in Life and Art,” through June 16.
- OCTAVIA ART GALLERY: 4532 Magazine St., New Orleans. Recent oil paintings by Edward Bear Miller. http://www.octaviaartgallery.com.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved