Makes about 350 cookies. Recipe is provided by Mary Guzzardo.
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
11/2 cups milk (start with less, then add more as needed)
7 cups flour
7 tsps. baking powder
11/2 cups cocoa
2 tsps. allspice
2 cups Crisco shortening
1 cup chopped nuts
1. With mixer, cream together sugar, eggs, vanilla and milk.
2. By hand in a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cocoa and allspice. Add shortening and mix together until well blended (mealy like cornmeal).
3. Add creamed sugar-eggs mixture to flour mixture and knead dough until it is smooth and shiny, then blend in nuts.
4. Shape into small round balls by teaspoonsful, smooth with no cracks in dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool and ice.
5. To make icing: In a bowl, gradually add small amount of evaporated milk to about 2 pounds of powdered sugar and desired amount of vanilla or almond extract until reaching thick icing consistency. Roll cookies in glaze and place on wax paper to dry.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved