Around Baton Rouge for Feb. 28
- EAST BATON ROUGE PARISH RECREATION AND PARK COMMISSION: 5 p.m., BREC Administration Building, 6201 Florida Blvd.
- SCHOOL SAFETY/SECURITY COMMUNITY FORUM: 6 p.m., Forest Heights Academy of Excellence, 7447 Sumrall Drive. Superintendent Bernard Taylor will host a series of community forums to get public input on school safety and security in the East Baton Rouge Parish school system. Participants will also discuss the proposed 2013-14 school year calendar and next year’s calendar.
- BOOK BAZAAR: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., 4-H Mini-Farm and Nelson Memorial Building, LSU campus. The Friends of the LSU Libraries’ “2013 Book Bazaar” will have books in dozens of categories for a fraction of the retail price along with CDs, DVDs, sheet music and vinyl record albums. Money from the bazaar will go to the Friends of the LSU Libraries’ endowment fund. Admission is free. http://www.lib.lsu.edu/lib/friends/bazaar.html.
- ZOHAR AND THE FREE SPIRIT WALKERS: 10 a.m., Main Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd. Zohar and the Free Spirit Walkers will give a presentation on Afro-Caribbean culture with dancers and drummers. (225) 231-3760.
- CASA VOLUNTEER SESSION: Noon, Capital Area Court Appointed Special Advocates Association, 848 Louisiana Ave. Capital Area CASA will hold an informational session on becoming a CASA volunteer. Volunteers will help abused and neglected children in foster care find safe and permanent homes. (225) 379-8598 or visit http://www.casabr.org.
- BATON ROUGE BUS BOYCOTT REMEMBRANCE: Noon and 6 p.m., North Boulevard Town Square, downtown. The North Boulevard Town Square Beacon will air the documentary “Signpost to Freedom” to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Baton Rouge Bus Boycott. The viewing is free and open to the public. http://www.downtownbatonrouge.org.
- ART AFTER HOURS: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 River Road S. Kristine Thompson, LSU’s assistant professor of photography, will guide visitors through “The Edge of Vision,” an exhibit of still images, installations and video projections at “Art After Hours: Photography at the Edge.” The program comes with complimentary wine and hors d’ oeuvres. Admission is free for LASM members, $5 for students and $7 for others. (225) 344-9478 or http://www.lasm.org.
- SOUTHERN SMASH 2013: 6 p.m., LSU Peabody Hall, LSU campus. The first day of “Southern Smash 2013” will feature an open panel discussion addressing body image, negative self-talk, finding balance and authenticity, the pressures of perfection and the media’s impact on everyone. “Southern Smash 2013” is a two-day event to help raise eating disorder awareness. http://www.southernsmashings.com.
- “LILLY’S PURPLE PLASTIC PURSE”: 7 p.m., Reilly Theatre, LSU campus. The play is a Playmakers of Baton Rouge production. Tickets are $15. (225) 578-6996 or http://www.playmakersbr.org.
- LECTURE/RECITAL BY DAVID SMYTH AND MICHAEL GURT: 7:30 p.m., LSU School of Music Recital Hall, Dalrymple Drive, LSU campus. David Smyth will make introductory remarks followed by a performance of Beethoven’s “Hammerklavier Sonata, Op. 106” by Michael Gurt.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved