The East Baton Rouge Parish School Board will not consider on Thursday Superintendent Bernard Taylor’s plans to reorganize schools in several parts of Baton Rouge “because the plan needs additional time for ongoing negotiations with the state,” an attorney for the school system said Tuesday.
“We are tweaking the plan to more accurately reflect the collective thoughts and ideas expressed by the state, community, board, and staff. The process has been deliberately fluid and collaborative,” Domoine Rutledge, general counsel for the school system, said in an email late Tuesday.
Rutledge did not say when he thought negotiation would be complete, instead urging patience.
Taylor, who started in June, announced in November the idea of reconfiguring and remodeling 36 public schools in four areas of the parish into “attendance regions” with boundaries that would erase the neighborhood zones of the elementary and middle schools in those regions.
After meetings earlier this month, Taylor said he planned to seek School Board approval no later than the board’s regular meeting this Thursday to reorganize three of the four regions. Only the Woodlawn region would wait until later, he said.
The School Board meets at 5 p.m. Thursday at the School Board Office, 1050 S. Foster Drive.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved