- BASSMASTER CLASSIC: Final day, Grand Lake of The Cherokees, Tulsa, Okla. Live weigh-in website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. NRA 200-yard match course. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: email@example.com.
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Pete Bongiovanni (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- ELK CAMP 2013: The Mirage, Las Vegas. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Convention & Expo. Call (800) CALL ELK/225-5355.
- 8TH ANNUAL EAGLE EXPO: Morgan City. Bald eagle watching in St. Mary Parish. Instruction, guided boat tours in Atchafalaya Basin, Lake Verret, Bayou Black & Turtle Bayou, walking tours, photo seminar. Fees charged. Call (985) 395-4905. Website: http://www.cajuncoast.com.
- AMBERJACK SEASON CLOSURE: State/federal waters, through June 1.
- LOUISIANA DUCKS UNLIMITED LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE: Homewood Suites, Lafayette. Call Stephen Gauthier (337) 344-8253. Website registration: http://ducks.givezooks.com/events/lousiana-ducks-unlimited-volunteer-leadership-meeting.
- CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL BASS CLASSIC: Safe daylight, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner event, benefits Children’s Hospitals. Fee $250/team/ $12,500 guarantee first place, $1,250 guarantee big bass. Pretournament check in Feb. 28 Cabela’s, Gonzales. 250-boat limit. Call Gary Cross (225) 938-1808 or Brad Rodrigue (985) 209-0722.
- 3RD-ANNUAL CLEVY DAVID-CHRISTY ROY MEMORIAL FISHING TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight-3 p.m., Morrison Parkway public launch, False River, New Roads. Pick-your-partner. $1,000 guaranteed first place. Fee $100/boat. Benefits ALS. Call Buster Roy (225) 505-6681 or Bug Roy (225) 638-8584.
- 22ND-ANNUAL RED STICK DAY CONCLAVE: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Waddill Outdoors Education Center, 4142 N. Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge. Free. Fly fishing programs, fly tying, kayak demos, casting clinics, food, refreshments. Sponsored by the Red Stick Fly Fishers. Call Glen Cormier (225) 751-6848. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER SERIES: The Dock/Dockside Bait & Tackle, Slidell. First in seven-event series sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Two-redfish catch. Live-fish weigh-in. Redfish tagged/released. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com.
- MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/LOUISIANA DIVISION: Grand Ecore Landing, Red River. Fee $200/boater, $100/co-angler. 20 percent of field in payout. Second in five-event series. Top 40 boaters/co-anglers qualify for regional. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: www.weekendseries.com.
SUNDAY, MARCH 3
- THE LOUISIANA DECOY RALLY: 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Ormond Plantation, 13786 River Rd., Destrehan. Collectors’ vintage/modern decoys displays & auction. Call David Haydel Jr. (504) 915-5484. Website: http://www.DeepSouthDecoys.org.
- CAPITAL CITY BASS ELITE TEAMS TOURNAMENT: Bayou Segnette State Park, Westwego. $30 membership fee. $100/team tournament fee, 100-percent payback. Second in eight-tournament series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 397-2071. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MARCH 4 — SPECKLED TROUT SEMINAR: 6:30 p.m., Grace Presbyterian Church, Roselawn Boulevard, Lafayette. No fee. Third in five-seminar series covering fly fishing for trout, redfish, flounder and other species. Next seminars: April 1, May 6.
- MARCH 7 — VERMILION CHAPTER CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., VN Hall, 1201 North Lafitte Rd., Abbeville. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- MARCH 8-9 — BASSMASTER COLLEGE CENTRAL CONFERENCE REGIONAL: Lake Amistad, Del Rio, Texas.
- MARCH 9 — 9TH ANNUAL FLY FISH TEXAS: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Athens, Texas. Center admission fee. Seminars, exhibits, fly tying, beginners clinics, fishing on premises. Website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/tffc.
- MARCH 10 — CAPITAL CITY BASS OPEN TEAM TOURNAMENT: Morrison Parkway Public Landing, False River, New Roads. $50/team tournament fee. 100-percent payback. First in three-tournament series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 397-2071. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- MARCH 11 — DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME: Begins 2 a.m.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS/QUAIL: Statewide through thursday (Feb. 28).
- SNIPE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL WATERFOWL ZONES: Second split through Thursday (Feb. 28).
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Through March 9. Take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- TURKEY/YOUTH & PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED WEEKEND: March 16-17, private lands only in State Turkey Areas A, B & C. Shooting hours: One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Limit: 1 per day. State turkey tags must be used.
- TURKEY: Area A lands, March 23-April 21; Area B lands, March 23-April 14; Area A lands, March 23-April 7. Limit: 1 per day, 2 per season. State turkey tags must be used.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved