Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
1 (2½-lb.) fryer or chicken pieces
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
¼ tsp. dried thyme
1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
2 med. red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 or 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
½ cup frozen peas
3 tbls. flour
½ cup milk
For the topping:
2 cups biscuit mix prepared according to package directions for topping. Make into lattice or round biscuits
1. Place chicken in large pot or Dutch oven; cover with water (about 2 quarts). Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste.
2. Add bay leaf, celery, onion. Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
3. Reserve broth but remove chicken to plate to cool and debone.
4. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and bay leaf. Measure out 3 cups of broth and put back into Dutch oven. The remainder of the broth can be frozen for later use.
5. Season broth with ¼ teaspoon dried thyme. Cook mixed vegetables, potatoes, carrots and peas in broth until tender.
6. Place flour in small bowl and gradually stir in milk, making a smooth paste. Slowly, while stirring, add to vegetable mixture. Stir and heat until mixture thickens. Taste and correct seasoning if necessary.
7. Fold in deboned chicken. Pour into 2½-quart casserole dish.
8. Prepare 2 cups biscuit mix according to package instructions. Roll out and cut into rounds or a little thinner for lattice strips for the topping. Bake in preheated 375 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Copyright © 2016, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved