NEW ORLEANS — Does your teen love to draw? The Algiers Regional Library invites artistic teens to a workshop where young artists can gather and learn a few tricks and techniques to make their art even better. All experience levels and drawing styles are welcome. Materials will be provided, but feel free to bring your own sketch pad, pens and pencils.
The workshop will be held Thursday from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Algiers Regional Branch library, 3014 Holiday Drive. For more information, call (504) 596-2641.
Also on Thursday, author and dog advocate Ken Foster discusses his latest book, “I’m a Good Dog: Pit Bulls, America’s Most Beautiful (and Misunderstood) Dog,” at the Alvar Branch, 913 Alvar St., New Orleans. Call (504) 596-2667.
On Friday at 3 p.m., Delia Tomino Nakayama leads an adult poetry workshop at the Martin Luther King Branch of the library. Participants will write and share poems. This event is funded in part by Poets & Writers Inc. through a grant it received from Poets & Writers Inc. New Orleans. The branch is located at 1611 Caffin Ave. Call (504) 596-2695.
- 3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: 11 a.m. daily.
- TEEN DRAWING WORKSHOP: Thursday 4:30 p.m.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday; 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- GUYS READ BOOK CLUB: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- AARP FOUNDATION TAX-AID PROGRAM: 10 a.m. Monday.
- YOUNG ADULT HOMEWORK CLUB-AGES 12-18: 3 p.m. Wednesday.
- 913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Monday; 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
Central City Branch
- 2405 Jackson Ave., (504) 596-3110
- MOVIE FOR PRESCHOOLERS: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
Children’s Resource Center
- 913 Napoleon Ave., (504) 596-2628
- KIDS MOVIE MATINEE: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME & CRAFT (AGES 4-8): 4:30 p.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
East New Orleans Regional
- 5641 Read Blvd. (504) 596-0200
- READ THE BOOK/SEE THE MOVIE: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- 225 Morgan St., (504) 366-0657
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS: 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
- PAJAMA STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment.
Keller Library and Community Center
- 4300 S. Broad, (504) 596-2660
- COMPUTER TUTORING: 10 a.m. Saturday, by appointment.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS AND BABIES: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- 1611 Caffin Ave., (504) 596-2695
- POETRY WORKSHOP FOR ADULTS: 3 p.m. Friday.
- YOUNG MEN WRITING WORKSHOP: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
- 5120 St. Charles Ave. (504) 596-2625
- AARP FOUNDATION TAX-AIDE PROGRAM: 10 a.m. Thursday.
- FRIENDS OF NOPL BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday.
- STORYTIME: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
- 3700 Orleans Ave., (504) 596-2654
- STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- HOMEWORK ASSISTANCE: 4 p.m. Wednesday.
- 1401 S. Carrollton Ave., (504) 596-2630
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Norman Mayer Branch
- 3001 Gentilly Blvd., (504) 596-3100
- AARP FOUNDATION TAX-AIDE PROGRAM: 10 a.m. Thursday and Tuesday.
- BOOKED FOR MURDER BOOK CLUB: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- WRITING WORKSHOPS LED BY YOUTHS (AGES 12-17): 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- 6301 Canal Blvd., (504) 596-2638
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- TEEN HOMEWORK HELPER DATABASE TUTORING: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- TEEN POTLUCK BOOK CLUB: 3 p.m. Saturday.
- C.H.A.T. WORKSHOP: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- BABY JAM: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- CHILDREN’S STORYTIME AND CRAFT, (AGES 5 AND UP): 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
- PAUL ROBESON ACTING COMPETITION, 2013: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- COMICS KITCHEN: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
East Jefferson Parish
- FREE COMPUTER CLASSES: Call (504) 838-1144.
East Bank Regional
- STORY WITH CRAFT: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- MICROSOFT WORD 2010, PART 1: 6:30 p.m. Thursday
- TEEN GAME NIGHT: 5 p.m. Thursday.
- AUTHOR EVENT: John Werner, Between Heaven and Earth: 7 p.m. Thursday.
- GREAT BOOKS DISCUSSION CLUB: 7 p.m. Thursday.
- MICROSOFT WORD 2010, PART 1: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- MICROSOFT WORD 2010, PART 2: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- JEFFERSON BALLET THEATER PRESENTS CINDERELLA: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- FAMILY NIGHT: 7 p.m. Monday.
- THE FICTION WRITERS’ GROUP: 7 p.m. Monday.
- READ AND SING: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
- AUTHOR EVENT! PHIL SANDUSKY, NEW ORLEANS IMPRESSIONIST CITYSCAPES: 7 p.m. Tuesday.
- TEEN MOVIE NIGHT-BRAVE (RATED PG, 94 MIN.): 5 p.m. Wednesday.
- OPERATION HOPE-SALES CHALLENGE PROGRAM: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
- SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY CLUB: 6:15 p.m. Wednesday.
- STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: 4 p.m. Thursday.
- MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION: 6 p.m. Thursday
- MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION: 10 a.m. Saturday
- CHILDREN’S CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- STORY TIME AND CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- MOVIE NIGHT-THE DARK CRYSTAL (RATED PG, 93 MINUTES): 6 p.m. Wednesday.
North Kenner Branch
- STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Old Metairie Branch
- STORY WITH CRAFT: 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
- NATURALLY NAWLINS TOASTMASTERS: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORY WITH CRAFT: 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Thursday.
- CHILDREN’S CRAFT: 1 p.m. Saturday.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved