Classes, Seminars & Workshops for Feb. 15, 2013
If you have information on classes, seminars and workshops, email it to email@example.com, or fax it to (225) 388-0351. Deadline is at noon each Monday. If your group is no longer listed here, you need to send an updated announcement of your classes and contact information.
- ARGENTINE TANGO: Lessons, milongas, workshops. (225) 766-1792 or (225) 572-1748 or http://www.tangolagniappe.com.
- ARTS COUNCIL OF LIVINGSTON PARISH: 133 N. Hummell St., Denham Springs. Various classes for children and adults in drawing, painting, crocheting, quilting and knitting. Visit http://www.artslivingston.org or call (225) 664-1168 for list of classes.
- BALLROOM DANCE CLASS/WORKSHOP: Independence Park, 7800 Independence Blvd. All ballroom dance rhythms taught. 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Thursdays. (225) 275-8438, (225) 921-6807 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BATON ROUGE CALEDONIAN PIPES & DRUMS: http://www.csbr.org. Bagpipe and drumming lessons at no charge Thursday evenings at First Presbyterian Church of Baton Rouge. Stanley Masinter, (225) 927-0252. For Scottish country dancing, call Lyndon Williams at (225) 272-2541.
- BATON ROUGE FENCING CLUB: Red Stick School of Fencing, 15450 George O’Neal Road, (225) 938-2039. Meets 7 p.m. Monday and Thursday. Youth fencing classes (ages 8-14), 4 p.m., Tuesdays and Fridays. (225) 772-1053.
- BEGINNER AND INTERMEDIATE GROUP FIDDLE LESSONS: 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Tom’s Fiddle & Bow, 204 Fuselier St., Arnaudville. Classes open to all, and no reservation required. Cost is $15 per class. (337) 322-5402 or email email@example.com.
- BREC’S BATON ROUGE ZOO: Zoo & Me mornings: Zoo excursions for children ages 3-5 accompanied by parent occurs the second Tuesday of each month. Train rides, animal encounter and art projects. $18 per child, or $30 for two children and parent. Pre-registration required, (225) 775-3877.
- CALEDONIAN BROADSWORD ACADEMY OF BATON ROUGE: Broadmoor Presbyterian Church, 9340 Florida Blvd. Meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday evenings. Beginners welcome. Six week introductory course in Highland Broadsword fighting, 7 p.m. Tuesdays, through March 12. Call James Mungall, (225) 278-1577.
- COMPUTER CLASSES: Mirror of Grace Outreach, 921 N. Lobdell Blvd., Suite E. All classes are 6 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Power Point, Wednesday, Feb. 20. Excel Part 1, Tuesday, Feb. 26. Excel Part 2, Wednesday, Feb. 27. Pre-enrollment required. Free and open to public. (225) 300-4528 or http://www.mirrorofgrace.org.
- COMPUTER CLASSES @ THE LIBRARY: Offered at various East Baton Rouge Parish Library branches. Classes include Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint 2007, Introduction to Microsoft Word, Introduction to Microsoft Excel 2007, Introduction to Computers, Intermediate Microsoft Word, Introduction to the Library’s Online Databases, Introduction to the Internet, Computers without Fear, Pintrest, Learning Express, Introduction to Gmail, Introduction to Photoshop. For more information or to register, call the individual library branch or visit http://www.ebrpl.com.
- COOKING CLASSES: Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, 201 Lafayette St. Viking Cooking School classes offered Thursday through Sunday. Check the website at http://www.vikingrange.com or call (225) 906-5882 for more information.
- DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT: Yoga in the Square, 4:45 p.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays in North Boulevard Town Square. Free. Visit http://www.downtownbatonrouge.org.
- INTERNATIONAL FOLK DANCE: 7:30 p.m.-10 p.m. Fridays. Learn dances from around the world. No partners needed. Call (225) 766-0517 or (225) 766-4060.
- ISRAELI FOLK DANCE CLASSES: B’nai Israel Synagogue, 3354 Kleinert Ave. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Spring semester dates are Sundays, Feb. 17, March 3 and 17, April 7 and 21, and May 12.
- KIDS CULINARY CLASS: Tallulah in the Renaissance Hotel, 7000 Bluebonnet Blvd. Executive Chef Andy Papson and his team lead cooking classes for kids 4-12 years old. $40 (includes white chef coat with embroidered name and logo). For more information, call Tallulah at (225) 388-5710 or visit http://www.tallulahrestaurant.com.
- LOUISIANA ART AND ARTISTS’ GUILD: 2490 Silverest Ave. “Basic Drawing Skills” with instructor Steve Shamburger, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Mondays, $60, members; $75, nonmembers. “Life Drawing Sessions,” 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Wednesdays, $10 per night or $30 per month. (225) 751-1049 or email email@example.com.
- LOUISIANE VINTAGE DANCERS: 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Church of the Way, 250 Foster Drive. For those interested in learning about 19th century dances. Marguerite Gravois, (225) 761-5021.
- LSU LEISURE CLASSES: Classes beginning this week include Bellydance, Blogging, Calligraphy, Conflict Resolution, Feng Shui, Get Your House in Order, Metal Jewelry, Poetry, Wine Tasting and more. To register or for more information, visit http://www.lsu.ed/leisureclasses or call (225) 578-5119.
- MUGGIVAN SCHOOL OF IRISH DANCE: Lessons include Irish step solo, traditional Ceili. Call (225) 926-5150 or (225) 927-9027.
- OSHNER LIFELONG LEARNING INSTITUTE (OLLI AT LSU): Offering non-credit educational programs specifically developed for adults age 50 and older. Spring semester begins Monday, Feb. 28, and continues for six weeks. To register or for more information, call (225) 578-6783, Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or visit http://www.outreach.lsu.edu/olli.
- PIANO AND GUITAR LESSONS: Christian Life Academy, 2037 Quail Drive. Study gospel and contemporary Christian improvisation styles. Learn to use the Nashville Number Chord Chart System. http://www.passiontolearn.com or (225) 773-3350.
- THE RED SHOES: 2303 Government St., Baton Rouge. Pre-register for all events by calling (225) 338-1170. Nia: Movement, Music, Magic, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 16. $15. Our “Herstory,” Our Voices-Lifting Our Sisters as We Lift Ourselves, 3 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17. $10. Transformed by Hope: A Story of Angels, 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 22. $5. Morning yoga, 8 a.m.-9 a.m. Mondays-Fridays. Gentle yoga, 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. All yoga classes: $8 per class/$48 for seven classes. http://www.theredshoes.org.
- SANDLOT SOFTBALL: For fun and exercise. Call (225) 715-0929.
- WORK/SHOP: 7353 Highland Road. Adult classes include Digital SLR crash course, figure drawing, daytime throwing and oil painting, hand building with clay, bookmaking, wood-firing, assemblage sculpture. Children’s classes are eco-art recycled sculpture and art club Tuesdays-Thursdays. For details, call (225) 400-9923 or visit http://www.workshopbr.com.
- THE VERSE LAB: Hartley/Vey Studio Theatres, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Spoken word poetry workshop for adults, 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays until Feb. 19. Participants will study contemporary spoken word poets as well as traditional poets, create their own original poetry and learn techniques to perform like professionals. $25 per workshop. (225) 344-0334 or http://www.manshiptheatre.org.
- YOUTH 360: Locations are various BREC recreation centers. Youth 360 is an after school camp for children ages 6-12 that provides time for homework, recreational and character development activities and a healthy snack. Transportation provided for school bus riders from school to BREC centers. Program hours are 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. $48 per month. For more information, call (225) 272-9200 or visit brec.org/youth360.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved