Serves 8 to 10. Recipe is from Bon Appétit, May 2002.
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg
1 cup cherry preserves
1/2 cup chopped dried Bing (sweet) cherries (about 21/2 ozs.)
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup unsalted natural pistachios, chopped
1 large egg
2 tbls. whole milk
2 tbls. sugar
1. For crust: Combine flour, sugar and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles fine meal. Add egg and process just until moist clumps form.
2. Gather dough into ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead; keep chilled.)
3. For filling: Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Mix preserves, chopped cherries, peel and almond extract in medium bowl.
4. Roll out 1 dough disk on lightly floured surface to an 11-inch round. Transfer round to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Press dough gently into pan; trim overhang even with top of pan sides.
5. Spread filling in crust; sprinkle with pistachios.
6. Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 11-inch round; cut into 3/4-inch wide strips. Arrange several strips, spaced 3/4 inch apart, over filling. Top with more strips at slight angle, forming lattice. Press strip ends to edge of pan, trimming overhang.
7. For glaze: Beat egg and whole milk in small bowl to blend. Brush some of glaze over lattice crust; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
8. Bake tart until crust is golden brown and cherry filling is bubbling thickly, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Cool tart completely in pan on rack. (Tart can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.)
Copyright © 2016, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved