LAFAYETTE — A third round of community forums for the development of a comprehensive plan for Lafayette Parish has been put on hold amid questions about funding for public outreach efforts to attract residents to the events, the chairman of a committee overseeing the planning effort said.
The forums, which had been scheduled for Feb. 27 and Feb. 28, are part of an ongoing effort to craft a plan to guide Lafayette’s growth and development in the coming decades.
Two prior forums were held last year.
Comprehensive Plan Citizen Advisory Committee Chairman Kevin Blanchard said in an email Tuesday the third round was postponed after it came to his attention that the consultants hired for the planning project “asserted that there was little to no funding left for public outreach efforts.”
City-parish government awarded a $1.2 million contract to the planning firm of Wallace, Roberts & Todd to handle the creation of the plan.
“This is the public’s plan,” Blanchard wrote. “And so until we find a way to more effectively involve them, we should not move forward with the process.”
The issue of funding outreach is scheduled to be discussed at a Wednesday meeting of the advisory committee.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved