New Orleans events calendar for Feb. 14-20, 2013
SATURDAY, FEB. 16
- BAYOU GARDENS CAMELLIA OPEN HOUSE: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Southeast Louisiana National Wildlife Refuges Complex Headquarters, 61389 La. 434, Lacombe. Talks and demonstrations. Visitors may explore the grounds on their own or attend one of the free guided tours that will take place every hour. Live camellia plants will be for sale with a portion of the proceeds to benefit the Friends of Louisiana Wildlife Refuges. (985) 882-2025 or email email@example.com.
- GRAZE+GROW-DIY BIKE GENERATOR: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., The Green Project Upstairs, 2831 Marais St., New Orleans. Alliance for Affordable Energy leads a workshop on the basics of bike generators and how to build one. The two-hour class will include an in-depth presentation on the cost, components and uses of bike generators, as well as time to examine Alliance’s bicycle beauty in person. To attend this workshop, please RSVP on facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Light brunch fare will be provided. $5; free for members. (504) 945-0240.
- ANNUAL GIRL SCOUT DAY: 10 a.m.-3 p.m., National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. All levels of Girl Scouts and their families are welcome for fun activities, and special pricing for Scouts in uniform are available throughout the day at the museum. For more information, email email@example.com or call (504) 528-1944, ext. 229.
SUNDAY, FEB. 17
- USA DANCE CHAPTER DANCE: 2 p.m.-5 p.m., Jefferson Orleans North, 2600 Edenborn Ave., New Orleans. Dance lesson at 1:30 p.m. Mixer dances and an exhibition by the Jefferson Parish School Dance Program students. Music by Jim Steven. Bring snacks to share. $10, USAD members; $12, nonmembers; $5, students under age 21. (504) 258-2220 or (504) 607-1041.
TUESDAY, FEB. 19
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA LIONS AT TULANE GREEN WAVE BASEBALL: 6:30 p.m., Greer Field at Turchin Stadium, 6400 S. Claiborne Ave., New Orleans.
- CCC NIGHT AT THE HIVE: 7 p.m., New Orleans Arena, 1501 Girod St. $30 includes ticket, free T-shirt, chance at a pre-game meet and greet with a 2012 draft pick, postgame court pictures plus admission for student of Youth Run NOLA to run the 2013 Crescent City Classic for free. (Proceeds from the game will be donated to YRN). The CCC section will be in the balcony level. http://www.neworleansarena.com.
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 20
- LUNCHBOX LECTURE: noon-1 p.m., National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. Tom Gibbs presents “Iwo Jima — The First Five Days.” (504) 528-1944, ext 229.
- VIP PACKAGE — MAGIC SHOW & MORE!: 1 p.m., Siberia, 2227 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Magic show, show ticket, digital download of discography, VIP Laminates, tour T-shirt. (504) 265-8855.
- NEW ORLEANS’ ORIGINAL RED LIGHT TOUR: Wednesdays through Saturdays, 8 p.m., Erin Rose Bar, 811 Conti St., New Orleans. New Orleans’ Original Red Light Tour takes you on a journey through ribald tales of Storyville, the Tango Belt, The Last Madame’s house and much more. $20. (504) 523-8619.
- NATIONAL WORLD WAR II MUSEUM: 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. “Gridiron Glory Exhibition,” a new traveling exhibition detailing pro football’s history in America with special sections devoted to the game’s World War II history and the New Orleans Saints, through May 5. (504) 528-1943 or http://www.nationalww2museum.org. or (504) 528-1943.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved