Around Baton Rouge for Feb. 4, 2013
- EAST BATON ROUGE PARISH SCHOOL SYSTEM COMMUNITY FORUM: 6 p.m., Scotlandville High School, 9870 Scotland Ave. To discuss proposed attendance zones.
- EXCEPTIONAL STUDENT SERVICES ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING: 6 p.m., Goodwood Center, 6550 Sevenoaks Ave. The East Baton Rouge Parish School System will host the meeting, which is open to the public. Meeting partners are the Louisiana State Personnel Development Grant and Families Helping Families.
- CAPITAL AREA CORPORATE RECYCLING COUNCIL MARDI GRAS SALE: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., CACRC office, 1400 Main St. The sale will include public computer towers, program computers, public laptops and more. Participants can purchase a keyboard and mouse as a pair for $7. All computers and laptops have Windows 7. The sale will continue until Friday. CACRC accepts credit cards, debit cards and money orders. (225) 379-3577.
- BATON ROUGE PRESS CLUB: Noon, De La Ronde Hall, 320 Third St. Lewis Unglesby, a Baton Rouge attorney, will discuss gun rights in Louisiana and the United States. Lunch, which is served at 11:30 a.m., is $12 for members and $15 for nonmembers.
- ART EXHIBITION AND JAZZ RECEPTION: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., McKinley Middle Academic Magnet School, 1550 Eddie Robinson Sr. Drive. The exhibition and reception will celebrate Black History Month. It will feature artwork by the school’s Visual Arts middle school students and alumni of Southern University.
- AN EVENING WITH MARVIN SAPP: 7 p.m., Saintsville Church of God in Christ, 8930 Plank Road. The Black Alliance for Educational Options will partner with Marvin L. Sapp, a Grammy-nominated and Dove, Stellar and BET award-winning gospel artist, to present a community dialogue on educational opportunities for black families in Louisiana. The dialogue is part of BAEO’s “Give Parents a Choice, Give Children a Chance” campaign. It will include a discussion about the status of education for black children and a special concert by Sapp. Doors will open at 6 p.m.
- SWEET HONEY IN THE ROCK: 7:30 p.m., Manship Theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Sweet Honey in the Rock, a vocal group, will perform. (225) 344-0334 or http://manshiptheatre.org.
- EDITOR’S NOTE: This list was modified on Feb. 4, 2013, because the location of the Exceptional Student Services Advisory Council meeting has been changed from the Instructional Resource Center on Foster Drive to the Goodwood Center on Sevenoaks Ave.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved