Chocolate Brownie Sundae
Serves 6. Recipe is from Brendan Coughlin, of Lincoln, Mass., who thinks he may have found it years ago in a food magazine.
6 ozs. bittersweet chocolate
6 tbls. unsalted butter
4 large eggs
2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
11/2 pints vanilla ice cream
Chocolate Sauce (see Profiteroles recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium glass bowl, melt chocolate in microwave. Add butter and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool slightly.
2. Separate yolks from whites of 3 eggs. In a large bowl, whisk yolks, the remaining whole egg, and 1⁄3 cup sugar until blended. Add melted chocolate and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
3. In a medium bowl or bowl of an electric mixer, whisk reserved egg whites on medium-high until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1⁄3 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating 10 seconds between additions. Continue beating until whites are firm and glossy.
4. Whisk one quarter of the meringue into the chocolate mixture until well-blended. Fold remaining meringue into chocolate mixture until no streaks remain.
5. Scrape mixture into an ungreased 9-inch round pie plate. Bake 35 minutes or until the souffle is cracked and no longer wobbles.
6. Cut into serving-size pieces and put into individual dessert bowls. Top with scoops of ice cream. Drizzle with Chocolate Sauce.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved