‘Star Wars’ 3-D prequels delayed for ‘Episode VII’

FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2013 file photo, J.J. Abrams arrives at the Winter TCA Fox All-Star Party at the Langham Huntington Hotel in Pasadena, Calif. Abrams is set to direct the next installment of Star Wars, which Disney has said will be Episode 7 and due out in 2015. Disney bought Star Wars maker Lucasfilm last month for $4.06 billion.  (Photo by Matt Sayles/Invision/AP, File)
FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2013 file photo, J.J. Abrams arrives at the Winter TCA Fox All-Star Party at the Langham Huntington Hotel in Pasadena, Calif. Abrams is set to direct the next installment of Star Wars, which Disney has said will be Episode 7 and due out in 2015. Disney bought Star Wars maker Lucasfilm last month for $4.06 billion. (Photo by Matt Sayles/Invision/AP, File)

The Millennium Falcon is changing course.

Now that “Star Wars” has a new studio home, a new movie in the works and a new director, other adjustments are in store for the franchise: Lucasfilm is postponing this fall’s scheduled 3-D re-release of “Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of the Clones” and “Episode III — Revenge of the Sith.”

“Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new ‘Star Wars’ trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans,” Lucasfilm said in a statement. “We will post further information about our 3-D release plans at a later date.”

The changed plans don’t come as a huge surprise — last year’s 3-D re-release of “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace” grossed only $43 million, demonstrating that audiences had little appetite to see the films in the format.

And Disney, Lucasfilm’s new studio, has been backing away from its own 3-D re-release strategy after its animated films “Finding Nemo” and “Beauty and the Beast” underperformed.

After years of nostalgia, the focus at “Star Wars” now seems to be squarely on the future — on Friday, Disney and Lucasfilm confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct the next movie in the franchise.

“I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller,” George Lucas said in a statement. “He’s an ideal choice to direct the new ‘Star Wars’ film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.”