Serves 8. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
2 lbs. potatoes (red or white)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, or more if desired
8 ozs. shredded mozzarella cheese
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 to 3 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Butter or nonstick vegetable cooking spray
Italian-style bread crumbs
1. Wash potatoes but do not peel. Place them in large pot and cover with water; sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt in water. Bring water to boil and continue boiling for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork. Drain, cool slightly then peel potatoes and place in large mixing bowl.
2. Put potatoes through a dicer or mash until almost smooth; I like leaving a little texture. Add Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. If potatoes are still very hot, add some of the potato mixture to the egg mixture to temper the eggs. Stir eggs into potato mixture.
3. Add chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Grease 2½-quart baking dish with butter or nonstick vegetable cooking spray, then lightly sprinkle bottom and partially up sides of dish with bread crumbs.
5. Place in preheated 350-degree oven and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated throughout.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved