New Orleans art calendar for Feb. 21-27, 2013
SATURDAY, FEB. 23
- OPENING RECEPTION: 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., The Foundation Gallery, 608 Julia St., New Orleans. Opening reception for “The Offing,” an exhibition of new paper collages by New York–based artist Casey Ruble. The exhibition runs Saturday through April 20.
- REDD LINEN NIGHT: 6 p.m.-10 p.m., 1712 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., New Orleans. Ashé Cultural Arts Center presents Redd Linen Night. Named for Ashé’s cofounder, Douglas Redd (1947-2007), the event is a celebration of his visual artistry, pairing live performances with art pieces. $20 in advance, $25 at the door. Students 12 and under, $10. (504) 569-9070 or http://www.ashecac.org.
- ALLAN CONTEMPORARY: 518 Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Mitchell Lonas’ “Zelma” on display through March 30. For more information, please contact gallery owner Borislava Callan at (504) 525-0518 or visit its website at http://www.callancontemporary.com.
- CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER: 900 Camp St., New Orleans. “Color Fall Down,”photographs by Priya Kambli in conjunction with PhotoNOLA; “Where Do We Migrate To?”, a group show; “Rooted,”a mixed-media installation by Ben Diller; “Revolve, ”sculpture by Rontherin Ratliff; “Swamp to Swamp,”works by MILAGROS until April 6. (504) 528-3800.
- DUTCH ALLEY ARTISTS’ CO-OP: 912 St. Peters St., New Orleans. Representing 25 local artists working in fabric, glass, clay, photography, collage, painting, jewelry, wood, mixed media and printmaking. Open daily, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (504) 412-9220 or http://dutchalleyartistsco-op.com.
- JEAN BRAGG GALLERY OF SOUTHERN ART: 600 Julia St., New Orleans. Super Mardi Gras 2013 group show, through Feb. 28. Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Free.
- JONATHAN FERRARA GALLERY: 400a Julia St., New Orleans. Brian Borrello, “Dark Matter,” through March 30. Gallery hours: 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
- AND BY APPOINTMENT (504) 522-5471 OR HTTP://www.jonathanferraragallery.com.
- LEMIEUX GALLERIES: 332 Julia St., New Orleans. A new exhibition of works by sculptor Sean O’Meallie, a former toy inventor who creates highly formed conceptual and pop-based sculptures in wood. The show will remain on view until Feb. 23. Gallery hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (504) 522-5988.
- LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM-CABILDO: 751 Chartres St., New Orleans. The Palm, the Pine and the Cypress: Newcomb Pottery of New Orleans, major exhibition of Newcomb art pottery, through September. (504) 568-6968 or http://www.crt.state.la.us/museum/properties/cabildo.aspx.
- MARTIN LAWRENCE GALLERIES: 433 Royal St. Works by Robert Deyber, though February. Hours are: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., every day. http://www.martinlawrence.com or (504) 299-9055.
- M.S. RAU ANTIQUES: 630 Royal St., New Orleans. Impressionism — Influences and Impact, paintings by Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh and Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. (504) 523-5660.
- THE MCKENNA MUSEUM: 2003 Carondelet St., New Orleans. Faces of Treme, photographs by Chandra McCormick and Keith Calhoun. (504) 586-7432.
- EW ORLEANS MUSEUM OF ART: One Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. Make Yourself at Home, works by Jim Richard, through Feb. 24; ‘FOREVER’ Mural by Odili Donald Odita, through October; Ida Kohlmeyer: 100th Anniversary Highlights, through Feb. 10. (504) 658-4100 or http://noma.org.
- OCTAVIA ART GALLERY: 4532 Magazine St., New Orleans. The exhibition Urban Visions by Tulane University architect and artist Grover Mouton presents a compendium of drawings created as part of the design process in a series of projects throughout China and the United States. On display through Feb. 23. http://www.octaviaartgallery.com
- OGDEN MUSEUM OF SOUTHERN ART: 925 Camp St., New Orleans. Michael J. Deas, through Feb. 28. http://www.ogdenmuseum.org or (504) 539-9600.
- SECOND STORY GALLERY: New Orleans Healing Center, 2372 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Monthly art exhibitions continue with the work of two established artists, Gina Laguna, working in steel, and Cynthia Ramirez, a multimedia artist. The exhibition will run through February. (504) 940-1130.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved