- RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Conference Room, Cabela’s, Gonzales. Monthly event. Call Pete Bongiovanni (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Monthly event. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- COASTAL WETLANDS PLANNING, PROTECTION & RESTORATION ACT PLANNING TEAM MEETINGS: 11 a.m. Tuesday, Region IV, Vermilion LSU AgCenter, 1105 West Port St., Abbeville; 9 a.m., Wednesday, Region III, City Auditorium, 728 Myrtle St., Morgan, City; 8 a.m., Region I & 11:30 a.m., Region II, Thursday, Corps of Engineers District Assembly Room, 7400 Leake Ave., New Orleans. Call Brad Inman (504) 862-2124.
- BASSMASTER SOUTHERN OPEN: Lake Toho, Kissimmee, Fla. First in three-tournament series Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- 3RD ANNUAL FISHING FOR TUCKER TOWNSEND TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: 6:30 a.m., check-out at Bayside Tackle, Pierre Part; Belle River Public Landing, Belle River; Doiron’s Landing/East-West, Stephensville. 3:30 p.m. check-in & weigh-in, Cabela’s, Gonzales. Pick-your-partner bass tournament. Also Kids’ Tournament, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Cabela’s, Gonzales. Fee $10. Benefits Tucker Townsend, 6-year-old with mitochondrial disorder. Call Ryan Lavigne (225) 921-9332. Website: http://www.fishingfortucker.com
- MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Monthly event. Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/LOUISIANA DIVISION: Bob’s Bayou Black Marina, Gibson. Fee $200/boater, $100/co-angler. 20 percent of field in payout. First in five-event series. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: www.weekendseries.com.
- 22ND ANNUAL ED RIZZOLO FLY TYING FESTIVAL: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Bethany Christian Church, 3223 Westheimer, Houston. Seminars, vendors & 80 featured tiers. Special guest: Dave Hughes. Fee $10 adults, $5 seniors/students, $15 family. Call Frank Schlict (281) 392-5296. Website: http://www.texasflyfishers.org.
AROUND THE CORNER
- FEB. 7 — LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., location TBA, Baton Rouge. LWFC meeting usually held first Thursday monthly. Other meeting dates: March 7, April 4 & May 2.
- DUCKS/EAST ZONE: Through Sunday (Jan. 27), second split. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- GEESE/EAST ZONE: Through Sunday (Jan. 27), second split. Open to take speckledbelly, Canada, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS/LAKE MAUREPAS AREA: Through Sunday (Jan. 27), bucks only. Special area map website: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov.
- DEER/SPECIAL PLAQUEMINES-ST. BERNARD AREA/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Through Sunday (Jan. 27), bucks only. Areas outside the major flood walls of both parishes.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/EAST ZONE: Monday, opening day, through March 9. Take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: State Deer Areas 1 & 6, through Jan. 31, still-hunt only, either-sex season.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS/ATCHAFALAYA BASIN: Through Jan. 31, bucks only, still-hunt only.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older). Closed in State Deer Areas 3 & 8.
- WOODCOCK: Statewide through Jan. 31.
- CANADA GEESE/COASTAL ZONE: Second split through Jan. 31
- GEESE/COASTAL & WEST ZONES: Through Feb. 3, second split. Open to take speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Feb. 4-March 9, take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS/QUAIL: Statewide through Feb. 28.
- SNIPE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL WATERFOWL ZONES: Second split through Feb. 28.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
- ELMER’S ISLAND AREA: oil clean-up.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: email@example.com
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved