Serves 10. Recipe is from “Down the Bayou” by the Bayou Civic Club, of Larose, with minor adaptations by Corinne Cook.
1 (6-lb.) beef brisket
3 tbls. liquid smoke flavoring
3 tbls. garlic salt
3 tbls. onion salt
3 tbls. celery salt
3 tbls. white pepper
1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 (18-oz.) bottle barbecue sauce
Bread rolls for sandwiches
1. Prepare marinade by mixing liquid smoke flavoring, garlic salt, onion salt and celery salt to make a paste. Center meat on a piece of heavy foil (large enough to seal completely). Spread smoke flavored paste over entire brisket. Cover with foil, sealing all edges completely and refrigerate overnight.
2. The next morning, preheat oven to 275 degrees. Open foil and sprinkle brisket with white pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Reseal carefully and place in roasting pan that has a lid.
3. Bake at 275 degrees for 5 hours, covered.
4. Uncover then drain off fat. Pour barbecue sauce over brisket and return to oven. Continue cooking, uncovered for about 1 hour.
5. Slice very thin across the grain of the meat and serve on hot rolls for sandwiches. Serve with extra barbecue sauce if desired.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved