- ZACHARY CHAPTER DUCKS UNLIMITED BANQUET: 6 p.m., St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 4724 McHugh Dr., Zachary, LA. Call Barry Hanks (225) 572-1886. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NRA JUNIOR SECTIONAL & OPEN MATCHES: McComb, Miss. NRA Sectional 4-P Smallbore Rifle and International Air Rifle.
- HIGH POWER RIFLE XTC REGIONAL MATCH COURSE: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. NRA-approved 200-, 300- & 600-yard tournament. Open to public. Fees, $12/adult, $5/junior (members), $15/adult, $5/junior (nonmembers). 80 rounds. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email email@example.com. Website: http://www.PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- MINIMALIST CHALLENGE KAYAK FISHING TOURNAMENT: Bason’s Marina, Galliano. Sponsored by the Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club. Fee $20. Open to the public. Preregistration required. Angler of year point event for BCKFC members. Website registration: http://www.bckfc.org.
- CCA-LIVINGSTON CHAPTER FISHING SEMINAR: 2-5 p.m., Tracker Boat Showroom, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Speakers: Tommy & Dara Smith/freshwater; Dudley Vandenborre, Owen Landridge, Robby Johnson/saltwater. No fee. Door prizes. Call Nolan Reynerson (225) 952-9200.
- 49TH GOVERNOR’S STATE CONSERVATION ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS NOMINATIONS DEADLINE: Sponsored by Louisiana Wildlife Federation. Categories: Professional, Volunteer, Youth Conservationist, Business, Educator, Elected Official, Communications and Conservation Organization. awards presented Feb. 23 banquet in conjunction with 74rd annual Louisiana Wildlife Federation, Embassy Suites, Baton Rouge. Call LWF (225) 344-6707. Website: http://www.lawildlifefed.org
- CANEY CREEK RESERVOIR PUBLIC MEETING: 7 p.m., Jimmie Davis State Park Conference Center, 1209 State Park Rd., Chatham. Call Evan Thames (318) 371-5216.
- U.S. FOREST SERVICE FEE-FREE DAY: No fees for USFS lands. Call USFS (866) 632-9992.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS/LAKE MAUREPAS AREA: Saturday (Jan. 19) opening day, through Jan. 27, bucks only. Special area map website: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov.
- DEER/SPECIAL PLAQUEMINES-ST. BERNARD AREA/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Saturday (Jan. 19) opening day, through Jan. 27, bucks only. Areas outside the major flood walls of both parishes.
- DUCKS/COASTAL & WEST ZONES: Sunday (Jan. 20) final day second split. 20. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Through Sunday (Jan. 20), State Deer Area 2, still-hunt only, either-sex season.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 1 through Jan. 20, still-hunt only, either-sex season.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Sunday (Jan. 20) final day, State Deer Area 6, either-sex season, with or without dogs. Note: The special Lake Maurepas area, Plaquemines Parish and a portion of St. Bernard Parish are excluded from State Deer Area 6 dates.
- CANADA GEESE/WEST ZONE: Monday (Jan. 21) final day, second split.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Monday (Jan. 21), opening day, State Deer Areas 1 & 6, through Jan. 31, still-hunt only, either-sex season.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS/ATCHAFALAYA BASIN: Monday (Jan. 21) opening day through Jan. 31, bucks only, still-hunt only.
- DUCKS/EAST ZONE: Through Jan. 27, second split. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- GEESE/EAST ZONE: Through Jan. 27, second split. Open to take speckledbelly, Canada, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/EAST ZONE: Jan. 28-March 9, take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older). Closed in State Deer Areas 3 & 8.
- WOODCOCK: Statewide through Jan. 31.
- CANADA GEESE/COASTAL ZONE: Second split through Jan. 31
- GEESE/COASTAL & WEST ZONES: Through Feb. 3, second split. Open to take speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Feb. 4-March 9, take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS/QUAIL: Statewide through Feb. 28.
- SNIPE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL WATERFOWL ZONES: Second split through Feb. 28.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Resident-game hunting on Pearl River, Maurepas Swamp, Manchac & Joyce wildlife management area (flooding) until further notice. Waterfowl seasons remain open. Elmer’s Island area (oil clean-up).
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved