Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- “Baby & You Orientation Tour,” a free tour of the hospital’s labor and birth suites, family waiting areas, Transition Nursery and more, will be from 1:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Sunday at the hospital, Conference Room 2.
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Woman’s Ideal Protein Seminar,” a free seminar on the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Program, will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway. To register, call (225) 924-8313.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Special Delivery,” a class on dealing with labor, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35 per couple.
- “Weight Loss Surgery: What You Should Know,” a free class, will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the hospital, Conference Room 4.
Call (225) 231-5475 or visit http://www.womans.org.
Mary Bird Perkins
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center will offer the following free breast cancer screenings:
- A screening will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at Woman’s Hospital, 100 Womans Way. Appointments are required.
- A screening will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Belle of Baton Rouge, 102 France St. Appointments are required.
- A screening will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Thursday at Lowe’s, 1280 N. La. 90, Covington. Appointments are required.
- A screening will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Friday at Addis Community Center, 7520 La. 1 South, Addis. Appointments are required.
Call (225) 215-1234 or visit http://www.marybird.org.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4939 Jamestown Ave., Suite 101, will offer the following events:
- A grief support group for children with a corresponding support group for parents will begin soon. Space is limited. Call (225) 924-6621 to reserve a spot.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the office.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 14040 Greenwell Springs Road.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, 1125 W. La. 30, Gonzales.
All support groups are free and confidential. For more information, call (225) 924-6621.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- Digestive & Urinary Cancers Support Group will meet at noon Monday at the office.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:15 p.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Ascension Parish Support Group will meet at noon Wednesday at First United Methodist Church, 224 W. Constitution St., Gonzales.
- After Hours Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
- “Zumba Gold” will be at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at the BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Make Today Count Speaker Meeting, featuring art therapy with Mona Marcum, will be at noon Thursday at the office.
- Blood Cancers Support Group will meet at noon Friday at the office.
Call (225) 927-2273.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 East Washington St.. Syphilis testing will be from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Metro Health will also offer HIV testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.; and 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue. Call (225) 338-9333.
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday at the office. Call (225) 927-9810.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other local agencies, will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave. The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following event and opportunity:
- Free grief support group sessions will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane; and 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Broadmoor United Methodist Church, 10230 Mollylea Drive, Adult Building, Room 104.
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient assistance, pet care, office work and events. Call (225) 767-4673.
National Alliance on Mental Illness Baton Rouge will hold the following events this week:
- Family to Family Support Group for family members/caregivers of people with a mental illness will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church, 3240 Dalrymple Drive.
- Connection Recovery Support Group for those whose lives are affected by mental illness will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church.
Call (225) 273-6061 or (225) 291-6262.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events this week:
- Caregiver network group meetings for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Magnolia Assisted Living, 1532 S. Burnside, Gonzales; 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Wednesday at Oakwood Village Assisted Living, 4400 McHugh Road, Zachary; 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. James Place, Health and Wellness Building, Classroom 1, 333 Lee Drive; and 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Denham Springs-Walker Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs. Call (225) 334-7494.
- A Lunch-N-Learn session will be from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Assumption Parish Public Library, 293 Napoleon Ave., Napoleonville.
The program will be on “Alzheimer’s Overview” with Katherine Schillings as presenter. The program and lunch are free. Registration is required, and seating is limited. Call (225) 334-7494.
- The Memory Cafe, an outlet for socialization, education and fellowship for individuals with early/younger onset Alzheimer’s and their families, will meet from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the office, Rosemary Conference Room.
Call (225) 334-7494 or email email@example.com.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events:
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, a program on healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave. The event is free. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- Weight Loss Surgery Seminar will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet Picardy Plaza, 8490 Picardy Ave., Suite 600. To register for the free event, visit http://ww.brgeneral.org.
- Free vascular screenings will be from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Entrance 1.
The screenings are designed to identify those who are at risk for cardiovascular disease. Registrants will also get screenings for blood pressure, body mass index and more. There will be refreshments. Other screenings will be Feb. 7 (registration available Jan. 25) and March 20 (registration available Feb. 8). Visit http://www.brgeneral.org or call (225) 763-4280.
- “20th annual Father/Daughter Sweetheart Dance,” a fundraiser for Baton Rouge General, will be from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27, at Crowne Plaza, 4728 Constitution Ave. The dance will have a special raffle with the winner getting four round-trip Southwest Airline flight passes, a $200 shopping spree to the American Girl store in Dallas, and a two-night stay at the Westin Galleria Dallas. Raffle tickets are $50 each. Dance tickets are $30 per person and $400 per table of 10.
The Sweetheart Table Package is $750 and includes a table of 10, T-shirts and a photo package. Visit http://www.BRGeneral.org/Sweetheart, call (225) 763-4372 or email Foundation@BRGeneral.org.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Cost is $90.
- “Adult CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the office. Cost is $70.
- “Blended Learning Skill Session” for adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED will be from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday at the office. Cost is $90.
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at the office. Another class will be held Jan. 29. Cost is $110.
- “CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the office. Cost is $110.
For more information, call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Resthaven Swan Room, 11817 Jefferson Highway.
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16, Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Group will meet at 10 a.m. Thursday at Family Road, 323 E. Airport Ave. Refreshments will be served. Call (225) 201-8888 or (225) 355-5442.
SouthernCare Inc., 17316 Airline Highway, Suite P, Prairieville, will hold a grief support group meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the office. The meeting will focus on “Understanding Life Changes.” It will start with drinks and snacks followed by the discussion at 6 p.m. The Rev. Beth Evason, chaplain, will host. All are welcome. Call (225) 673-9949.
Lane Regional Medical Center, 6300 Main St., Zachary, will hold the following events:
- “AARP Driver Safety Course” will be from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at the center. The refresher course will teach drivers, ages 50 and older, how to adjust to the effects of aging on driving.
Most auto insurance companies provide a multiyear discount to graduates. Class size is limited, and registration is required. To preregister or for more information, call (225) 654-5263.
- United Blood Services will hold a blood drive from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday at the center. It is open to the public and does not require registration, but donors are encouraged to sign up at http://www.bloodhero.com. The sponsor code is LaneRegional.
Baton Rouge Speech & Hearing Foundation (BRSHF) will hold its “Battle Against Autism Social” to promote the “Battle Against Autism Car Raffle,” a raffle for a 2013 Lincoln MKZ to raise funds for a larger BRSHF facility called The Emerge Center for Communication, Behavior & Development.
The social will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Ringside at Sullivan’s Steakhouse, 5252 Corporate Blvd. It will have complimentary hors d’oeuvres, drink specials and personal stories of BRSHF’s impact. BRSHF provides autism, speech and behavioral therapies to children and audiology services for all ages.
BRSHF will continue selling raffle tickets during the social for $100 each. RSVP by calling (225) 362-9049 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cardinal Hospice, 8280 YMCA Plaza Drive, No. 3-A, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday. The group is free and open to the public.
- The hospice is looking for volunteers to assist patients and their families, or work in the office. Call (225) 291-3322.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday. Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
Peoples Health will hold a free lecture, “Optimize Your Vision,” by Vincent Shaw Jr., of Burnham Family Sports, at noon Friday at Family Health Center, 3801 North Blvd., second floor, Conference rooms A and B. Registration will start at 11 a.m. Reservation deadline is Wednesday. To register, call 1-866-220-0418 or visit http://www.myhealth.peopleshealth.com.
Krewe of Oeaux de St. Jude, a krewe that formed for a little girl suffering from cancer, will present a Mardi Gras ball to benefit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday at Stage 1, 13465 S. Harrell’s Ferry Road. The event will have a silent auction, cash bar, king cakes from The Ambrosia Bakery and entertainment from The Side Effects Band. It is black tie optional. Guest speaker Donna Britt will also announce the court, which will be children from the hospital.
Heroman’s Florist has donated vases with flowers for the children to paint for the auction. An auction preview will start at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $60 per person and are available at the UPS Store, 17732 Highland Road, Suite G; Meghan’s Closet, 11852 Coursey Blvd.; On the Bright Side & Cajun Tigers, 2380 Towne Center Blvd.; and Stage 1. All proceeds will go to the hospital.
2 Seam Dream
2 Seam Dream Foundation will host an MLB Celebrity Softball game, 4K walk and home run derby to benefit Mary Bird Perkins - Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center and Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge. It will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in Alex Box Stadium at LSU.
Hip Hop Doc
Hip Hop Doc & Love N Pain will hold a “Get on the Bus” Album Release Event from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at The Capitol, 600 Main St. The album, “Get on the Bus,” is the latest installment in the Hip Hop Doc’s (Rani Whitfield) mission to create innovative mediums to educate young people on health issues.
South La. Hospice
South Louisiana Hospice is looking for volunteers to help in the following areas: reading, writing, hobbies, crafts, music, housekeeping, flowers, hairdressing and more. Call (225) 924-6830.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential. Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.
Amedisys Hospice (Baton Rouge) is looking for volunteers to care for patients with life-limiting illnesses and their family members. Volunteers can be direct patient volunteers, indirect patient volunteers, comfort cooks and bereavement volunteers. Call (225) 751-4599.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved