Serves 6. Recipe is by Helana Brigman.
1/2 onion, chopped
1 celery rib, sliced thinly
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
1 red potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 ears corn, corn removed from cob
1/2 cup sliced carrots
2 tbls. butter, plus more butter or cooking oil as necessary
31/2 cups whole milk, plus more as necessary
3 to 5 bay leaves
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare first seven ingredients and set aside.
2. Melt butter over medium-high heat and add onions. Cook onions for five minutes or until translucent and browned.
3. Add vegetables except potato and corn. Stir to coat in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more butter or cooking oil as necessary. Sauté vegetables for an additional five minutes or until somewhat tender.
4. Add corn, potatoes, milk and spices to pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
5. Before serving, remove bay leaves from pot. Serve chowder with crusty bread, oyster crackers or saltines.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved