Broccoli, Leek and Potato Soup
Serves 4 to 5. Makes about 8 cups. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
2 tbls. vegetable oil
1 cup chopped leeks
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 heads broccoli (about 4 cups chopped)
6 cups chicken broth or stock
Salt, black pepper and pinch of cayenne to taste
½ cup of either plain yogurt, sour cream, heavy cream, whole milk or half-and-half
Pinch of nutmeg
Garnish: 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan and broccoli tips or toasted croutons
1. Add oil to Dutch oven and cook leeks and potatoes over medium heat, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the chopped broccoli, broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. (At this point, I remove a few broccoli tips — about 1⁄ 3 cup — that will be used as garnish). Cover and continue cooking about 15 to 18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Remove pan from heat and puree soup in batches in food processor or using an immersion blender.
4. Stir in yogurt, sour cream, heavy cream whole milk or half-and-half. Add pinch of nutmeg and check seasoning. Return to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture is hot but not boiling, stirring occasionally.
5. Garnish each bowl with a few broccoli tips and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or offer toasted croutons.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved