New Orleans art calendar for Jan. 24-31, 2013
- OPENING RECEPTION: 5 p.m.-8 p.m., Diboll Art Gallery, Loyola University, New Orleans. Image Authenticity by Gerald Cannon and Decorative Debris by Nancy Bernardo. http://cmfa.loyno.edu.
- AN EVENING WITH ARTIST ROBERT DEYBER: 6 p.m.-8 p.m., Martin Lawrence Gallery, 433 Royal St., New Orleans. Opening reception. Original works on canvas and new handcrafted lithograph releases will be available. (504) 299-9055 or http://www.martinlawrence.com.
- CALLAN CONTEMPORARY: 518 Julia St., New Orleans. Michael Kessler: The Sense(S) Of Abstraction, through Jan. 30. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. For more information, contact gallery owner Borislava Callan at (504) 525-0518 or visit the website at http://www.callancontemporary.com.
- CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER: 900 Camp St., New Orleans. Color Fall Down, photographs by Priya Kambli in conjunction with PhotoNOLA. Where Do We Migrate To?, a group show. Rooted, a mixed-media installation by Ben Diller. Revolve, sculpture by Rontherin Ratliff. (504) 528-3800.
- LeMieux Galleries: 332 Julia St., New Orleans. A new exhibition of works by sculptor Sean O’Meallie, a former toy inventor who creates highly formed conceptual and pop-based sculptures in wood. The show will remain on view until Feb. 23. LeMieux Galleries is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
- LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM-CABILDO: 751 Chartres St., New Orleans. The Palm, the Pine and the Cypress: Newcomb Pottery of New Orleans, major exhibition of Newcomb art pottery, through September. (504) 568-6968 or http://www.crt.state.la.us/museum/properties/cabildo.aspx.
- MARTIN LAWRENCE GALLERY: 433 Royal St., New Orleans. Works by Robert Deyber, though February. (504) 299-9055 or http://www.martinlawrence.com.
- M.S. RAU ANTIQUES: 630 Royal St., New Orleans. Impressionism — Influences and Impact paintings by Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh and Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. (504) 523-5660.
- THE MCKENNA MUSEUM: 2003 Carondelet St., New Orleans. Faces of Treme, photographs by Chandra McCormick and Keith Calhoun. (504) 586-7432.
- NEW ORLEANS MUSEUM OF ART: One Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. Make Yourself at Home, works by Jim Richard, through Feb. 24; ‘FOREVER’ Mural by Odili Donald Odita, through October; Ida Kohlmeyer: 100th Anniversary Highlights, through Feb. 10; Lifelike, through Sunday. (504) 658-4100 or http://noma.org
- OGDEN MUSEUM OF SOUTHERN ART: 925 Camp St., New Orleans. George Rodrigue Foundation of the Arts Scholarship Art Contest Exhibition, through Feb. 17. An exhibition of works by high school juniors and seniors who participated in the Foundation’s visual arts contest. The theme was “Louisiana’s Bicentennial.” Deborah Luster: Tooth For an Eye: A Chorography of Violence in Orleans Parish and Self-Taught, Outsider and Visionary Art from the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, through Apr. 7. Well Suited: The Costumes of Alonzo Wilson for HBO’s Treme, Jan. 24 through Mar. 31. (504) 539-9600.
- POYDRAS CENTER: 650 Poydras St., New Orleans, Excursions, paintings by Alois “Al” Champagne. Free. (504) 945-2115.
- SECOND STORY GALLERY: New Orleans Healing Center, 2372 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Monthly art exhibitions continue with the work of two established artists, Gina Laguna, working in steel, and Cynthia Ramirez, a multi-media artist. The exhibition will run through Feb. 1. (504) 940-1130.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved