Crustless Spinach, Bacon and Cheese Quiche
Makes 10-inch quiche; 6 to 8 entree servings. Recipe is by Corinne Cook, who cautions that oven temperatures will vary so adjust the cooking time.
1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach
7 to 8 slices thin-cut bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
3 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
4 large eggs
1 (12-oz.) carton small curd cottage cheese
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper or Tabasco to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9- or 10-inch pie plate with nonstick coating and set aside.
2. Cook frozen spinach according to package direction but just until completely thawed. Drain well and set aside.
3. Layer fried and crumbled bacon on bottom of prepared pie plate. Top with grated Swiss cheese and chopped green onions.
4. In medium bowl combine eggs, cottage cheese, spinach, Worcestershire, salt and peppers. Whisk together until well blended. Pour over bacon and cheese mixture.
5. Place in preheated 350-degree oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until center is firm to touch. After baking allow quiche to “rest” 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Alternatively, bake in standard-sized muffin tins for 22 to 25 minutes for 14 small quiches or in minimuffin tins for 18 to 20 minutes for 42 miniquiches.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved