Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events this week:
- “Here We Birth Again — Birth Refresher Class for Parents” will be from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $25 per couple.
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby & You Orientation Tour,” a free tour of the hospital’s labor and birth suites, family waiting areas, Transition Nursery and more, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. or 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Monday at the hospital, Conference Room 2.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- Woman’s Ideal Proteine_SRTm Seminar, a free seminar on the Ideal Proteine_SRTm Weight Loss Program, will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway. For more information, call (225) 924-8313.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Weight Loss Surgery: What You Should Know,” a free event, will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the hospital, Conference Room 4. For more information, call (225) 924-8444.
- “Basics of Breastfeeding and Pump Pointers” will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday at Woman’s Center for Wellness. Cost is $20. The class is only open to women.
- “Special Delivery,” a two-part class on labor, will be from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35 per couple.
For more information or to register, call (225) 231-5475 or visit http://www.womans.org.
HopeKeepers, a support group for those affected by chronic illness or pain, physical or mental, will meet from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at St. Margaret’s Church, 12663 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge. For more information, call (225) 337-1633 or visit http://www.hopekeepersbr.com.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 East Washington St., Baton Rouge. Syphilis testing will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Metro Health will also offer HIV testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave., Baton Rouge; 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue, Baton Rouge; and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at Delmont Service Center, 3535 Riley St. Call (225) 338-9333.
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office.
Call (225) 927-9810.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events this week:
- “Smoking Cessation,” a five-week session on quitting smoking, will be Monday through Thursday, Feb. 7, with classes being held four times per week to accommodate schedules. Week One will cover the topic, “Decide to Quit.” Registration is required. For more information, call (225) 387-7848 or visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, a program on healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave. The event is free. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- “Breastfeeding Basics” will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Cost is $30 per couple, which includes refreshments. To register, visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
- Weight Loss Surgery Seminar will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet Picardy Plaza, 8490 Picardy Ave., Suite 600. To register, visit http://ww.brgeneral.org.
- “Childbirth Preparation” class will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Cost is $50 per couple, which includes refreshments. Visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
Hope Chests, a support group for breast cancer patients and their families, will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Ochsner Clinic Foundation of Baton Rouge, 9001 Summa Ave., third-floor lobby. Meeting topic will be “New Beginnings,” positive personal goal planning for the new year. For more information, call (225) 761-5296 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, 5000 Hennessy Blvd., will host a Diabetes Education & Awareness Group meeting from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday in the hospital’s auditorium. Chareze Wells from the OLOL Diabetes & Nutrition Center will speak on “Healthy Living (class one).” For more information, call (225) 765-8020.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
National Alliance on Mental Illness Baton Rouge will hold the following events this week:
- Family to Family Support Group for family members/caregivers of people with mental illness will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church, 3240 Dalrymple Drive.
- Connection Recovery Support Group for those whose lives are affected by mental illness will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church.
Call (225) 273-6061 or (225) 291-6262.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- Free grief support group sessions will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane; 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive; and at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Broadmoor United Methodist Church, 10230 Mollylea Drive, Adult Building, Room 104.
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance.
Call (225) 767-4673.
Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center will hold the following events:
- A free breast cancer screening for individuals without health insurance and who have not been screened in one year will be from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the LSU Mid City Clinic, 1401 North Foster Drive. To make an appointment or for more information, call (225) 215-1234.
- Free tobacco cessation group classes will begin Tuesday and will be held once a week for one hour. A free meal will be provided. For more information or to enroll, call (225) 215-1274.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Cost is $90. Another class will be offered Saturday.
- “Adult CPR” will be from 8 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the office. Cost is $70.
- “Blended Learning Skill Session for Adult First Aid, CPR and AED” will be from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday at the office. Cost is $90.
- “CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $110.
- “First Aid and CPR/AED Instructor Training” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Monday, Jan. 14, and Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the office. Cost is $500.
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the office. Cost is $110.
For more information, call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events this week:
- A caregiver network group meeting for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia will be from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at Florida Boulevard Baptist Church, 10915 Florida Blvd. Call (225) 334-7494.
- “A Cause to Remember,” a one-hour informational session on Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area’s programs and services, will be from noon to 1 p.m. Friday at the office. The session will include a light lunch and a tour of the award-winning adult day respite center, Charlie’s Place. To RSVP, call (225) 334-7494 or email email@example.com.
East Baton Rouge Parish Carver Branch Library, 720 Terrace St., will host a blood drive with Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center providing the Mobile Blood Collection Unit from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday. Participants will get $5 waived from their library fines when they donate. They will also get their blood pressure checked along with temperature, iron level and pulse count. Call (225) 389-7450.
Dutch Physical Therapy, in conjunction with the Livingston Parish Library, will present a series of free seminars throughout January for “Spine Education Month.” The first seminar will feature Dr. Barrett Johnston from The Interventional Pain Institute and will be at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Denham Springs-Walker Branch Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs. Johnston will discuss pain management options for back pain. To make reservations, call (225) 588-2068 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit http://www.DutchPT.com.
St. Joseph Hospice
St. Joseph Hospice and its inpatient facility, The Carpenter House, will hold a bereavement support group meeting from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at Jefferson United Methodist Church, 10328 Jefferson Highway. For more information or to RSVP, call (225) 368-3117.
Cardinal Hospice, 8280 YMCA Plaza Drive, No. 3-A, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office. The group is free and open to the public.
- The hospice is looking for volunteers to assist patients and their families, or work in the office. Call (225) 291-3322.
Mary Bird Perkins
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center will offer a free breast cancer screening from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Friday at Wal-Mart, 1200 West Oak St., Amite. Appointments are required.
For more information or to make an appointment, call (225) 215-1234 or visit http://www.marybird.org.
C.G. Jung Society
C.G. Jung Society of Baton Rouge will hold a lecture on “Reading the Images in Jung’s Red Book,” a filmed presentation by Barbara Friedman and Mary Dougherty, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday at the Baton Rouge Gallery, 1515 Dalrymple Drive. Marilyn Marshall will lead the film discussion.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday.
Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential.
Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved